Thread: AMD FX throttling

AMD FX throttling

I was working with the stock settings and ran small FFTs with prime95. As soon as I started prime95, the CPU cores started throttling, with temperatures above normal for 42 sockets. I stopped benchmarking and started to Blend. I switched the cinebench, but the throttling didn’t stop. I under clocked it to 3.3 GHz with 16.5 multi, but still the throttling didn’t stop and the temperature didn’t come down. I wanted to ask, how I stop the throttling while keeping the multi OC and FSB OC constant.

Re: AMD FX throttling

You can use APM technique to stop the throttling regardless of OC technique. Once voltage, wattage and heat reaches at peak point, it will start throttling the processor again. Using the AMP technique, you can throttle the processor’s frequency by 16.5 or even lower. Also while throttling the processor, see to it that temperature remains around 62 degree Celsius. If the temperature rises anywhere near 75 degree Celsius, then chances of your system being overheated increases. The throttling process should be done manually and use of any 3rd party software should be avoided.

The one thing that you have to take care about is FSU bottleneck. The CPU can’t handle multiple threads working on float values. To be precise, CPU can’t work on more than 8 threads which are working on float values. If ever such situation occurs, then the CPU will throttle down and delete all the incoming data without any processing. Your CPU will then start suffering BSOD freezes and will crash frequently. I still can’t understand that why the unlocked CPU doesn’t provide control to the user for throttling and it starts throttling on its own.

The throttling is an very risky process. If it fails in between, then you will need to reformat your system and try all over again. See to it that your system is not connected to internet. You need to have an 8 phase vrm for heatsink with large number of fins. Never try overdriving the GPU as it might burn the connection slots as a large amount of heat is generated.