Thread: Overclocking Intel Core 2 Extreme Processor QX9770 and bios settings

Overclocking Intel Core 2 Extreme Processor QX9770 and bios settings

My friend just called me up to overclock his Intel Core 2 Extreme Processor QX9770. He has purchased this recently. Before he had done one attempt to overclock this processor. After reaching @ 3.8Ghz the system looks a bit stable. But when he increased the same to Ghz the system went crazy and crashed. I am now going to run a test with Prime95 to ensure what the right speed we can reach. While I had heard that this cpu is capable of reaching 5Ghz. They why it crashes.

Re: Overclocking Intel Core 2 Extreme Processor QX9770 and bios settings

This Quad Core 2 Extreme cpu can reach @ 5Ghz. It is produced on 45 nm technology and it is capable of operating @ 4 GHz with better cooling support only. So first thing do this is upgrade your system cooling. Get a new liquid cooling kit and fit that in your system. Then overclock it. It looks that because of temperature your system is crashing.

It is correct that you must not rely on traditional air cooling for reaching that much frequency. It is better to buy a expensive liquid cooling kit if you want to keep your cpu alive. As the rise in cpu clock rate generates more heat and it increases the systems temperature. This can generate fatal results. The QX9770 is clocked at 3.2 GHz and uses a front side bus of 400 MHz. This works only with Intel X48 chipset. So what chipset you are using also matters here. A better fsb is needed to get higher frequency on the overclocking mode. The other key data of the CPU: 2x 6 MiByte Level 2 cache, SSE 4.1 support, and - as usual for Intel's Extreme Editions - an upwardly open multiplier. Called as Yorkfield the processor can give you 5Ghz if you can go through some guide where entire process is mentioned. Just do not rely on basic bios settings. The entire system should be upgraded and enough strong to handle the generated heat.

According to my experience you can get 3.8Ghz stable on air cooling. But above that will need liquid cooling support. This is also not for a long time. Liquid cooling offers you greater time of system stability.

The cpu is made of 45-nanometer which should be the new Penryn processors that can overclock better than older models. The processor operates @ 3,200 megahertz which is the default factory clock ration. At start you might need to mess to gain stability but with proper setup it will become stable. The high clock ration will only stay stable if you can provide slightly higher power dissipation. The TDP has increased from 130 in Kentfield to 136 watts. Use only Intel's X48 chipset because this board offer you a much higher fsb speed which is needed. One of the recommended board is Asus Maximus Formula. Do not run other stuff like a gpu with it. For start you can try make your system a bit stable on the needed ration. You can specify the frequency directly from bios.

All in your the conclusion for your query is because of cooling support. You must mention the full detail of your system whenever you ask a question related to cpu overclocking. It becomes easier to provide correction solution.