Thread: AMD X4 940 Black Edition Overclocking Remarks

AMD X4 940 Black Edition Overclocking Remarks

I am looking for overclocking remarks for AMD X4 940 BE Thuban edition. I want to overclock this and had tested my system with prime95 which showed positive result. But I want to know that till what extent I can go to overclock this cpu. I had seen some videos on youtube which showed that they had reached till 3.9 successfully without getting their system killed. So going to that level as AMD X4 940 comes with 3.0 clock rate, it is necessary to have proper look on some samples. Does anyone has reached to that amount or beyond. I tried to check some of the old threads which showed that after overclocking due to some settings, the system cannot be boot while it works on normal condition. Also there is a deneb edition of this processor. Among both which are better and stable for overclocking. Thanks.

Re: AMD X4 940 Black Edition Overclocking Remarks

I am new to thuban and had not got any chance to see deneb edition. What I know that there is no way you can go to 3.9Ghz without a good psu brand. A better psu define more reliable system while overclocking and system are less affected due to voltage tweaks.

After going through a number of experience and threads based on overclocking of AMD X4 940 Thuban I had found that this is not a stable cpu. In comparison to this deneb is more stable and better. I had overclocked the same at my friends house which worked though I was not able to achieve really high rate but at-least the system worked fine. Then I had gone for a new cpu and was not aware that it was a thuban edition. I is slower and crashed in between. Although according to me all my settings were better. After facing a couple of failure in occt test I decided to go with small level of overclocking. Anyhow the voltage tweak is weaker here. So you cannot get a good ratio of clock rate on instant overclocking. I am not able to figure out what is the issue behind this.

Anyhow going for a new architecture is always a positive thing whenever you want to overclock your system. I had also noticed that the voltage tolerance is limited for thubans while deneb are better. I had seen people overclocking @ 4.1/4.2 without any issue in denab edition.

What I know that it also matters with the tool you are using for overclocking. The best thing to overclock is from bios. Many latest motherboard comes with onboard overclocking support which regular the frequency along with other settings also. Like the fsb or voltage. Many default profiles inside the bios offers you instant overclocking without getting in detail with the other settings.

I do not understand why you are facing issue with thuban architecture. In my experience this one is better. There are better silicon chips used in thuban which give the power to cpu to hold more heat. Between 55-58c the temperature lies common @ 3.6Ghz. That can be good indicator which shows that the cpu is not generating a higher heat. All you need to find is a good cooler support that can tolerate such heat and protect your cpu from getting damage. The architecture used in the process do play a important role sometime in case of processing power. Try to use AMD Overdrive utility or from the bios and test your system again and again till you get a correct result that your system will never crash.

The clock rate of 4 Ghz or above is really higher. You cannot just push it to that level without better support. Support in the sense a good cooling. There are many factors which affect the overclocking of a system. Look for a good guide.

Check on YouTube there are some guides which shows steps to overclock this cpu at the level you are looking for. But remember that you must do this on your own risk. It is also important to considered the cpu architecture. Always go for the new.