Thread: Extreme overclocking ASUS X58 motherboard

Extreme overclocking ASUS X58 motherboard

As we all know to get the best quality graphic from modern game we need the highest cpu performance. The more better processing power is the much better output you can have on your screen. In older system I had never imagine about overclocking. But this time I am going to do some overclocking in my cousin system to play high end game. I want to go with the highest possible settings. I had learned a bit on overclocking from my older system which burned out in the process. So for precaution I fixed a liquid cooling, higher psu, etc stuff to make it better. There is a doubt before going for overclocking. The motherboard is ASUS X58 running on old Intel Core i7 processor. It is what you called 965EE chip. When this was a new in market at that time there we less chances of worrying. The scenario of overclocking is entirely different today. I want to overclock this system at the highest cpu clock rate I can achieve. For start I made changes in the FSB. The system was unstable for some time. I tried with 266 which did not worked at all and at 133 it was stable. Now whatever changes I do to the voltage or any other setting the system become unstable. So what I need here is to find the right settings for extreme overclocking. Should auto be preferred for this.

Re: Extreme overclocking ASUS X58 motherboard

This will not work just like that. You will need a list of entire settings that can define the value of each and everyone. It is necessary for gaining a better stability in your system. Extreme overclocking simply means pushing the cpu to the highest clock rate.

I can give you some suggestion for setting your cpu clock rate @ 4Ghz. But you will need to understand and perform the settings that I had mention below. And another important thing, the clock ratio which you are expecting is only possible if your cpu supports that. OR else there is no use of trying. You can put your cpu and system on risk. Check the list and apply the settings. The first settings are default. I had provided my in the bracket next to it. Or else let the default values.

Advanced CPU Features :
    • CPU Clock Ratio - 20x -- [ Set x25 ]
    • Intel(R) Turbo Boost - Enabled -- [ Disabled ]
    • CPU Cores Enabled - All
    • CPU Multi Threading - Enabled
    • CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) - Disabled
    • C3/C6/C7 State Support - Disabled
    • CPU Thermal Monitor - Enabled
    • CPU EIST Function - Disabled
    • Virtualization Technology - Enabled -- [ I will advice to turn this off if you are not using Vmware or Virtual PC ]
    • Bi-Directional PROCHOT - Enabled

Uncore & QPI Features:
    • QPI Link Speed - x36 or x44 [ Proper for 160 Bclk ]
    • Uncore Frequency - Set x16-18 [ it is recommended to use 2x memory Multi or 2x +1, 2x +2, etc. It means you can have more Vdimm or QPI/Vtt which helps to keep your system more stable ]
    • Isonchronous Frequency - Enable

Standard Clock Control:
    • Base Clock (BCLK) Control - Enabled
    • BCLK Frequency (MHz) -- 160
    • PCI Express Frequency (MHz) - 100
    • C.I.A.2 - Disabled

Advanced Clock Control:
    • CPU Clock Drive - 800mV
    • PCI Express Clock Drive - 900mV
    • CPU Clock Skew - 0ps
    • IOH Clock Skew - 0ps

Advanced DRAM Features:
    • Performance Enhance - Standard Or extreme. This ti9me if you need better stability go for Extreme.
    • Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) - Disabled
    • System Memory Multiplier (SPD) - Auto -- [ This is by edefault set on auto. Modify it and set x8 = 1280Mhz. Or else you can try x10 for 1600. But if you do the same you might need to modify settings to obtain more ram voltage and along with you will need to manage memory timings also. ]
    • DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) - Manual -- This is on manual. You will need to set this on expert. Later you have to set each channels in the main memory timings and command rate one by one

Channel A + B + C. Channel A Timing Settings:
    Standard Timing Control
    • CAS Latency Time - 9
    • tRCD - 9
    • tRP - 9
    • tRAS - 20/24

Advanced Timing Control : Leave it Auto if you are not aware about the same.
    • tRC - This must be = tRAS + tRP or above. It ensures more system stability.
    • tRRD - Auto
    • tWTR - tWL + 4
    • tWR - 5-12
    • tWTP - tWR + tWL + 4
    • tWL - CAS Latency -1
    • tRFC - Auto
    • tRTP - Auto
    • tFAW - Auto
    • Command Rate (CMD) - 1T

Advanced Voltage Control:

CPU
    • Load Line Calibration - Disabled -- [ Set his to Level 1 ]
    • CPU Vcore - 1.25-1.45. The process is bit tricky here. If you played with wrong higher or lower settings then your cpu might not boot.
    • QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v - 1.2-1.425
    • CPU PLL 1.800v - Keep this @ 1.8 or less.

MCH/ICH
    • PCIE 1.500v - 1.5
    • QPI PLL 1.100v - 1.2
    • IOH Core 1.100v - 1.14-1.2
    • ICH I/O 1.500v - 1.5
    • ICH Core 1.1v - 1.1

DRAM
    • DRAM Voltage 1.500v - 1.66. Also you can set this as per your memory specification.
    • DRAM Termination 0.750v - Auto
    • Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v - Auto
    • Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v - Auto
    • Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v - Auto
    • Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v - Auto
    • Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v - Auto
    • Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v - Auto

Hope that above settings can guide you. What I had noticed that the chipset what you had mentioned worked properly @ 4.0 Ghz. This is the best frequency on which you can enjoy your high end games. In case of issues you can run bios patch and gain more stability. It is important to ensure that the overclocking must not affect the boot time of a cpu. The processor become slower if overclocking is not done properly. Try to disable some of the option which are not needed or let them to lie on auto. I hope you can manage to make your overclocking gaming profile.

You can do one thing before getting on final decision. Set all the values as per mentioned. Once you are done with the same then you can test the system stability by sing tools like Prime95, OCCT, Memtest, etc. Run them a number of time to find the right settings that can give you maximum cpu stability. I had done this many time. This is a kind of long process which surely irritates sometime, but it is recommended to do. For quick start begin with lower voltage values and then keep on increasing the same slowly.

A good memory kit is also recommended for overclocking. You have a liquid cooling support so you can overclock and check what is the maximum temperature the cpu lies on. If lies on a constant value then you can go on increasing it.

Even I agree that achieving 4Ghz is possible on Intel Core i7. But if you are planing to push the same to 4.5 then you will need to work on the overclocking settings. Some of the values do affect the system stability.