Thread: Overclocking advice from Asus Z68 V PRO 4.5GHZ Bios

Overclocking advice from Asus Z68 V PRO 4.5GHZ Bios

I want advice to overclock Asus Z68 V PRO to 4.5Ghz from bios. I had tested some low range clock rate which worked find and did not gave any error. Some days before I had also tried using OCCT tool to ensure the stability of my system. That looks fine. I have a Intel Core i7 0600 processor. It works fine with the current overclocking status. With that I had upgraded my ram to 8GB by adding 1600Hz corsair chips. I using a liquid cooling support on the system. I had gone through previous threads which states that liquid cooling is much better for overclocking system. I do not want to go in much details about the system specs. Other than this recently I had added a 600w psu which looks enough. So I want to know that will my system work stable on 4.5Ghz clock rate or it will suffer. Thanks in advance.

Re: Overclocking advice from Asus Z68 V PRO 4.5GHZ Bios

For start I will recommend you to first to read some guides on this. You can easily find that here or on web. Pushing your cpu @ 4.5ghz can be risky for poorly maintained system. But as Intel Core i7 is quiet a nice processor with stable overclocking ability you can give a try. Run OCCT test some more time and ensure that you are not getting any error. Going for liquid cooling was a wise choice.

It is right that if you can find some good guides and then go for the process. Because in guides you can find the exact reaction of voltage changes you will need to do. Sometime to keep the system steady on a required rate it is important to modify the voltage of ram also. The best advice I can give you is to watch some videos on youtube. There are many live sample on this site which offers you the exact settings to reach prescribed clock rate. Anyhow the toughest part here is to know what will be the difference in llc settings and voltage modification. In my views to stay between 4.5Ghz to 4.8 Ghz you will need to keep your cpu stable with 1.36v. It depends on your vtt. Remember that the higher you increase the voltage the more heat will generate and this can make your system unstable. Other than this monitoring the core temperature is also important lookout. Keep a keen eye on the rising core temperature and stop it if it goes above 80c. This is the highest temperature limit.

You do not need to worry about the heating stuff if you have a liquid cooling. The reason is, when the cpu temperature rises the liquid cooling provides it is instant support which blocks the temperature to certain limit. I had seen people overclocking Intel Core i7 @ 4.5 ghz with temperature stable on 72c. Above that even I will also not agree. Liquid cooling allows you to push your cpu limit a bit more further.

Check the bios settings properly. I had not worked on this board before. But this type of board offers you overclocking profiles. This profile let you to adjust the cpu clock rate as needed. You do not require to do major changes in the settings manually.

If you find the cpu is unstable the first thing you can do is increase the cpu voltage. For example let it be lie between 1.36v. to 1.38v. This is the best recommended when you are going above 4Ghz. Also you will need to hike the vccio a little more. Remember above 1.2v will be risky. And for the dram try to be at 1.5750v. Keep a watch on the temperature and save the settings. So that you can just enable this as and when needed. Everyone knows that there is a risk involved in overclocking and it is entirely your choice. I hope Asus has given some kind of guide or manual for this process with the board. Anyhow optimum settings can be found from google also.

If I am not wrong, I can provide you the default settings of Asus Z68 V Pro. So if you face any kind of error related to modification done, you can restore this settings and check back again about the performance. The values for the same is 1.112 for cpu voltage. For dram it should lie between 1.615 to 1.6215v. For vccio it should be between 1.059 to 1.062 v and 1.803v for cpu pll. You can try having the default settings and ensure that your cpu is not getting crashed. You must not overclock your system if you face any kind of issue in system performance.

You can go with 4.5GHZ from the bios itself. Basically what I had tested in my friends system is keeping all the settings on auto and just managing the cpu clock ratio. To some extent the bios itself manages the needed settings. The system worked stable for some hours. You can try this also by keeping other settings on auto and adjusting the cpu clock rate.