Thread: Need help in overclocking ASUS Rampage II Extreme, Intel Core i7 960

Need help in overclocking ASUS Rampage II Extreme, Intel Core i7 960

I just bought this mobo with Intel Core i7 960and I am having problem in overclocking it . I am trying to reach to 4ghz but I am not able to do so as I have no experience about that because this is the first time I am using the Asus board before this I have gigabyte board which I am little comfortable with . So is there anyone here can help me on this I will be really appreciating this as I don’t want to toast my system by wrong workout

Here is my rig

ASUS Rampage II Extreme
    6GB Corsair Dominator-GT 2000MHz DDR3 RAM
    Intel Core i7 960
    Akasa Venom Voodoo CPU Cooler
    XFX Radeon HD6970 graphic card
    EZCool 1050w PSU

Thanks in advance

Re: Need help in overclocking ASUS Rampage II Extreme, Intel Core i7 960

Hey is it possible for you to tell me what max CPU multi for that chip and which auto is using on the Bios for the CPU Voltage and do you want to run CUP @ 4GHz and Ram @ 1600 MHz or even higher .

My first experience overclocking and I have a lot of questions and discoveries, I went through quite a few options for overclocking, but did not reach the desired result (4.4 GHz). My CPU is, as I understand from various articles that can do more, but I get the most 4.15GHz. Anybody will tell you that in the settings wrong? Or more to the die can not?
    Stable version (limit):
    Code:
    CPU Ratio Setting = 23; BCLK = 180; DRAM 1804MHz
    All other options do not work.
    UCLK = Auto; QPI Link Data Rate = Auto
    CPU Turbo Power Limit: Disabled
    C1E Support: Disabled
    Hardware Prefetcher: Enabled
    Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch: Enabled
    CPU TM Function: Disabled
    HT Technology: Enabled
    SpeedStep Tech: Disabled
    C-State Tech: Disabled
    CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
    In the process   there was  excessive heat on the CPU and north bridge, put a manual voltage and heat stabilized
    CPU Voltage = 1.36250
    CPU PLL Voltage = 1.80200
    QPI / DRAM Core Voltage = 1.39375
    DRAM Bus Voltage = 1.60325
    I have the same mobo and cpu

If you exceed a certain limit on the bus BCLK, the motherboard will no longer see the amount of memory, which is located on one of the channels.You can get rid of the bus clock BCLK or try to raise the voltage on the QPI / DRAM. For optimal acceleration voltage supplied to the processor must be below 1.45 V (for Intel specifications above 1.55 V is detrimental to the processor). In memory of less than 1.85 (according to the specifications in the Intel 1,87), BIOS of the motherboard in excess of 1.65, warns about the possible failure of the equipment). CPU PLL Voltage unlike LGA 775 is not so much affect the overclocking potential. It is recommended to leave it in the range 1.83 - 1.88 V. In some instances increase the voltage on the CPU PLL Voltage above these limits may increase the overclocking potential of the bus BCLK. The voltage on the CPU PLL specifications for Intel more than 1.89 V may lead to failure of the CPU! QPI / DRAM Voltage - set depending on the mode of memory. To the memory frequency below 2 GHz to 1.35 -1.45 voltage V, and for frequencies above 2 GHz is 1.4 - 1.45 V, for some processors require more than 1.5 V. IOH Voltage - for a good overclock on the bus BCLK is desirable to establish in the range 1.3 - 1.35 V. IOH PCIE Voltage - set to the minimum value, you may need to raise 1.6 In the case of SLI / Crossfire systems. ICH Voltage - set to the minimum value, you may need to raise 1.3 V in the case of RAID arrays. ICH PCIE Voltage - set in the range 1.5 - 1.6 V.

Thanks for the reply I really appreciate guys

So here is the thing that you need to know

Current core voltage is 0.946v
    The max multi the 25

And as far as
    Quote Originally Posted by Munishi3 View Post
    do you want to run CUP @ 4GHz and Ram @ 1600 MHz or even higher ..
    yes I am definitely like to run CPU around 3.8 to 4ghz but of course that will depends on the temperature and the RAM is able to run 2000mhz so will like to have the max from its as well

Munishi3 View Post Guest

Well if that is the case then you need many qpi/vtt voltage to run them at 2000mhz. and if you ask me I would suggest 1800-1866mhz might be the good for voltage needed and all but in the end that all depends on bios for cpu voltage, there will be amount being utilize with no power states working

Now for the 4ghz you can use the bclk 25x160 = 4ghz as well as ram multiplier of 12x160 = 1920 ram speed. The cpu temp will be ok in Auto however it all depends on which stock clock its uses primarily in bios after that you be able to modify the voltage using voltage offset, however at present leave it on auto and make sure of what it uses in windows when stressed 100% ect

Make the dram bus voltage as in the ram moreover 1.5v otherwise 1.65v,it will be on the ram itself, after that put imc voltage 1.38v to begin with and check, every other settings will be okay on auto, you able to set your ram timings manually according to your ram

overclocking i7-960 3.2Ghz up to 4.2Ghz, the voltage is stable CPU is the hot while working in linX more than 2.5 hours, The system configuration in the profile is, the memory overclocked to 1750 + at normal 1.65 V in the temperature of the liquid at the outlet of the radiator during test, 33-34 degrees (30-31 idle) room temperature is 25-30 degrees, not vsod no there are no errors. The system parameters and temperature during testing looks okay .additional memory OSST drove in, the whole system in the Haven for 2.5 DX11

I stayed in the mx-3 I think, even so it is assumed that each new version improves the previous one, so the MX4 should be better ... yet as much earn 1 or 2 degrees, it will not affect much. To test you can use the core-temp (it is best to monitor temps) and uses intelburntest prime95 or save you from the hot vcore OVERCLOCK CHECKING TOOL , but I say to you that these tems are often normal load except with a RL and for parts and more expensive. The i7 withstand up to 100 degrees, but it is recommendable 80-90 below them continuously.

Just tried your setting with the cpu and qpi/dram volts in the auto and the computer booted well however with the prime95 it gave me the blue screen of death with the following error code

Code:
    BCCode: 124
    BCP1: 0000000000000000
    BCP2: FFFFFA80067A8028
    BCP3: 00000000FE000000
    BCP4: 000000000040014A