Thread: AMD Phenom II x4 970 BE is not getting cooled properly

AMD Phenom II x4 970 BE is not getting cooled properly

I am having AMD Phenom II x4 970 BE and I had bought the same after checking out the low price and overclocking potential, I have been facing overheating issues after overclocking, in my case I am having stock heatsink and is running at factory settings, I have found that the CPU's idle temp stays near 40 C but then when I run the Prime 95 then the temp reaches 55 C quickly and more. I have overclocked it at 4ghz with FSB stock, RAM stock, NB at 2200, vcore at 1.45. I have tried using the some Arctic Silver 5 but then it is not making any difference and the Prime 95 makes the temperature jump to 60 C in no time, is there anything that I can do about the same.

Re: AMD Phenom II x4 970 BE is not getting cooled properly

I am having AMD Phenom II x4 970 BE and I had bought the same after checking out the low price and overclocking potential, I have been facing overheating issues after overclocking, in my case I am having stock heatsink and is running at factory settings, I have found that the CPU's idle temp stays near 40 C but then when I run the Prime 95 then the temp reaches 55 C quickly and more. I have overclocked it at 4ghz with FSB stock, RAM stock, NB at 2200, vcore at 1.45. I have tried using the some Arctic Silver 5 but then it is not making any difference and the Prime 95 makes the temperature jump to 60 C in no time, is there anything that I can do about the same.
    Before I suggest you something about the same can I know complete specification of your system, so I can have a better idea of the issue that you are facing. Other than this I just wanted to share that using the stock heatsink you won’t be able to reach the chip's full potential and you should get a better one.

My system specification is as followed:
    • AMD Phenom II x4 970 BE
    • Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P
    • 4gb DDR3 1066
    • Nvidia GeForce GT 430 1gb
    • 2.75 TB HDD
    • Corsair CX600
    • Sentey BX2-4249 v2.3
    • Debian 6 Squeeze

I am aware that the stock heatsink won’t be able to reach the chip's full potential but then I am not willing to invest out for a new and a better one for now, it would be my last option, so if there is anything other thing that I can try out rather than that then please let me know.

Yes even I was going to suggest you the same, I mean that the stock heatsink has been designed for cooling the chip at its stock speed and you will have to definitely upgrade the cooling system, if you are having a normal sized case then you can probably get a good tower style cooler and for the same you can check out the “CoGage True Spirit Heatpipe CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Silent Fan for Intel LGA1366” you can just get it for $31.99. I have mounted the same on AM2 board and it had fitted fine without any issues and worked great as well, as it is a narrow heatsink it won’t be interfering with the ram slots, just check it out and see what y6ou think about the same.

I will keep in mind that I don’t overclock with the stock but then I just wanted to add that I am having a Sentey case and there is enough room in there and the heatsink appears to be doing a good job as well. I have checked out the Cooler Master Hyper 212 as it supports AM3 and was having good review as well, I am thinking of getting the same but then I am not that sure if it will be maintaining the idle temp when I will do overclocking, what do you guys think about the same????

I think that the Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus will be a better option and it will work great with the overclocking that you are willing to carry out, you can easily mount the same either north-south or east-west, as far as maintain the temperature is concerned you should make sure that the case is having proper ventilation, if you want then you can make a simple test and that is remove the case side and then temporarily point a box fan and then run the programs that you are willing to run and see if you are able to find out the difference in the temp, if yes then you will have to make adjustment for ventilation.

I will like to add that if you are willing to get Cooler Master Hyper 212 then there should be least 8" wide from side panel so as to install any tower having 120mm fan, so just make sure that you are having it before getting it.

Hey you can check out the “Coolermaster Gemini II” I think that it will be the best option for you and it will fit fine as well, you can go through the dimension if it in the below short specification:
    CPU Socket
    • Intel Socket:
      • LGA 1366 / 1156 / 1155 / 775 *
    • AMD Socket:
      • FM1 / AM3+ / AM3 / AM2+ / AM2
      • Dimension: 144 x 144 x 105 mm (5.7 x 5.7 x 4.1 inch)
      • Fan Dimension: 120 x 120 x 25 mm (4.7 x 4.7 x 1 inch)
      • Fan Speed: 800 - 1800 RPM (PWM) ± 10%
      • Fan Airflow: 34.2 - 77.7 CFM ± 10%

Thanks for that, I have checked out the “Coolermaster Gemini II” and according to the specification and its dimension I will have to low-profile my ram and I am not willing to do so, just wanted to know if there is any other option that I can try out??? Any further help for the same will be appreciated.