Thread: Undervolting Intel sandy bridge on Gigabyte Motherboard

Undervolting Intel sandy bridge on Gigabyte Motherboard

I am looking forward to get gigabyte motherboard 1155 socket. But there are few requirements which need to be fulfilled. I want sata 6gb support and a Bios settings with which I can undervolt the cpu Vcore manually. These 2 requirements should be needed and I have don’t have any intention of overclocking. I am thinking about using i3 2120. Is there any suggestion? Currently I have gigabyte M56S S3 board. Does it have easy to use BIOS?

Re: Undervolting Intel sandy bridge on Gigabyte Motherboard

If you don’t have any intention of overclocking that is really good and not essential. But you should not go for undervolt processor since it can damage your processor same way when overclocking can cause. You can undervolt slight a bit on Gigabyte motherboard and that is OK for sometime but if you take more lower, then it will surely brick the CPU.

As far as I know that all or may be most of Gigabyte boards are very good motherboards but due to the spectrum of motherboard, some board can achieve anything without any problems buy some may not. AS you might know that Undervolting is completely different process that overclocking. Both are very sensitive and you need to maintain the stability while inputting the power or voltage value.

I don’t know for what reason you want to underclock and undervolt. The Gigabyte tells that you should not able to undervolt on the H67 or H61 chipsets. For that you will need Z68 chipset motherboard. However if you really want to undervolt, then it could be better if you get low power CPUs like i5-2390T, i3-2120T, i3-2100T, G630T, G620T, G530T and G440. I know that these are little expensive than standard one but K chip is necessary in order to underclock anyway.

When the system is idle, the Intel Speedstep automatically downclocks the CPU so that it can save enough power.

The Sandy Bridge processors are the better choice for voltages and they run pretty cool. Due to its smaller silicon processor, it cannot handle high volts. I also want to experiment with undervolting but since I am using the Sandy Bridge processor, the choice become more or less unnecessary.