Thread: Is it fine running Pre-installed Gigabyte 560TI (overclocked) on a low end PSU

Is it fine running Pre-installed Gigabyte 560TI (overclocked) on a low end PSU

I am having Gigabyte 560TI which was Pre-installed in my system and I have been over clocking the same and using with a 460wat psu and I thought that it was fine as I was having an AMD 3ghz dual core but then now my friends are saying that I am taking risk and so, and I am not sure if they are right, so just wanted to know if it is fine or not, is there anyone who has an idea about this and can help me with the same??

Re: Is it fine running Pre-installed Gigabyte 560TI (overclocked) on a low end PSU

I am having Gigabyte 560TI which was Pre-installed in my system and I have been over clocking the same and using with a 460wat psu and I thought that it was fine as I was having an AMD 3ghz dual core but then now my friends are saying that I am taking risk and so, and I am not sure if they are right, so just wanted to know if it is fine or not, is there anyone who has an idea about this and can help me with the same??
    As far as I am aware an overclocked 560Ti might be using 230W and will be leaving the rest for the system, here the power drawn by the card will be at 12V and on the other hand the power supplied by the PSU will be between 3.3V and 5V, so there is really a risk as there are chances that at certain state there won’t be enough 12V power available for the system, You might be able to use it now without any issues but then the PSU life will be shorten. I don’t think that there can be any other critical issues with the same.

Re: Is it fine running Pre-installed Gigabyte 560TI (overclocked) on a low end PSU

I think that you should better get 600W PSU and that too with 1 single +12V rail, according to you case the PSU might have been overclocked a no of times and I don’t think that’s good, I think that one should provide more juice to the system and maintain the margin as well, I agree to the above user, I mean that the more you will push the a 460W psu there are chances of reducing the life of it. Hope that helps.

Ok, I will keep that in mind but then I am have checked out the side of the psu and it is having the below chart:
    +3.3v +5v +12v1 +12v2 -12v +5vsb
    22a 25a 18a 18a 0.5a 2.5a
    ( 165w )( 312w ) (6w) (12.5w)
    This appears to be ok with what I am doing?? I am not very sure but then just wanted to confirm it out.

You should better replace the PSU with a new one having +12V power, the chart that you have posted says that you are having an old PSU and I don’t think that it will be able to cope up with the modern systems and graphics cards as now a days it is recommended to have +12V power, in order to explain you in detail, The GTX 560 after overclocking will 18A where as the CPU will need 6A and you you sum them out then it gets 24A, so now only 2A is left for the motherboard+ fans+ HDD and others, so in short you are taking a huge risk. Anyways just post the complet specification of your system, so that I can have a better idea about the risk that you might run into.

My system is having the following:
    • Coolermaster eXtreme Power Plus 460W (RS-460-PCAR/P-A3)
    • AMD Athlon II X2 250 Processor
    • Asus M2N64-AM PLUS Motherboard
    • 2X 2Gb DDR2 Cosair 1066Mhz Ram
    • 1TB WD 7200rpm, 320GB 5400rpm seagate
    • Gigabyte 560TI Pre OC

I am not having extra fans and cd drive attached,Any further help for the same will be appreciated.

Yes you will have to get a PSU with a single 12V rail and this will really make things easier, I also wanted to add that Corsair is a good brand and I am having the same but then I have single 12v rail 700watts with 60Amps, so if you want then you can get the same to avoid future risk. Hope that helps.