Thread: Does 1.4v or more than that is safe for Sandybridge processor or not

Does 1.4v or more than that is safe for Sandybridge processor or not

I have gone through many threads which had discussion on Intel Sandybridge Vcore limitation. Surely this is a first doubt in everyone minds that modifying the core voltage can kill your processor or not. I had read that below 1.4v that processor degrades in some weeks or months. That mean it looses it actual frequency and sometime completely dead. After having liquid cooling support on my system I had successfully configured the processor @ 1.49v which had yet not given any impact on the cpu performance. So my question is based on high cpu voltage. What that can do with the cpu. Current I do not found any kind of low performance or stuff in my processor.

Re: Does 1.4v or more than that is safe for Sandybridge processor or not

Not really. Vcore settings below 1.5v is safer but not much. You can perform a test for the same before doing it out if you are overclocking. You can use Prime95 for the same.

I will not recommend to go below the said frequency if you are planing to run the system for 24x7. That is where the cpu is most effected and due to poor cooling support the processor life is degraded. A processor is never affected by overclocking. What degrades it is the power fluctuation. If you can provide the right voltage with overclocking the system will work smoother and you do not need to worry about cpu life also. I had seen many users who are successfully overclocking their system and use them for longer times. The default voltage is what is recommended. If you are going below that or above that, the a proper test is needed. Some flash bios version on internet plays better role in adjustment. Try to stay between 1.4v to 1.49v. This is not really bad. And somehow if you face any error or issue you can restore the proveiou settings.

It also depends on the cpu make. Sandybridge is a good processor which has better feature support. You can give a try on the same. Test with different number of frequencies.

What is my experience is that overclocking is quiet less dangerous if you stay on the edge. Under any circumstances the cpu is going to get heated. This is thus absorb by a good cooler allowing the cpu to stay stable on that frequency for longer time. Every motherboard and cpu has a limit of rate which you cannot exceed. I had a different kind of power support on my system. I usually spent high on the cooling and power unit. This is what a wise investment. Regarding the voltage stuff you might need to test the system with different frequencies. It is also matters with the motherboard that you must go with detailed specifications. Some of the boards have utilities for vcore adjustment which plays vital role for the system performance.