Thread: Help troubleshooting powering problem

Help troubleshooting powering problem

Hi,

Thanks for taking a moment to read my question.

I recently built a computer and attempted to power on the first time. I do already think I know what the problem is but I want to verify.

When powered on, for 2-3 seconds the fans/lights turned on and then off with a temporary period of time where I couldn't power again. If I waited 30-60 seconds I could try to power again with the same result.

I have a Zalman heatsink with an Intel Core i5 2400k on a Gigabyte motherboard. I don't think I applied the thermal grease well enough and the connection between the mobo, cpu, and heatsink is not the best.

Am I right that the faulty connection with the CPU is what causes this exact problem? Everything is connected properly, and the only other reason I think is possible is that I shorted a component.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Re: Help troubleshooting powering problem

There can be two problems here. The first is what you are saying. Issue with the cpu. Either the processor is not getting enough power to stay on, or it can be due to cpu fault. Second the issue can also be related to the psu. Check the psu stays on or not. Anyhow all power to the system goes from the psu or smps. Its failure can cause sudden shutdown. Disconnect everything, except the cpu and ram and connect your monitor with a keyboard. Turn it on and let it be for some hours. If it still goes off, it is the issue of smps.

Re: Help troubleshooting powering problem

as u said its a brand new system, its 100% a problem with the ram. Just remove the ram and power on the system, if the cpu fan rotates/works fine, then again try to install the ram in a different slot and try to power on the system. Hope this may work ?