Thread: Getting boot failure after changing ec firmware to hybrid phenom II x2 560

Getting boot failure after changing ec firmware to hybrid phenom II x2 560

I can change to hybrid unlock all cores and boot ok with win xp. All 4 cores show and test steady I can constant overclock and have a steady system. When I swap hdd to win 7 it boots ok set to standard with stock 2 cores and will run constant overclocked to 4000ghz 1.4v, I have try hybrid and only the 2 unique cores enabled, any 2 from 4 or all 4, a assortment of voltage settings and still under clocking nevertheless if hybrid is enabled it will not boot.

Hardware as follows:-
    • phenom II x2 560 black edition arctic freezer 7 pro rev 2
    • radeon HD5670 graphics
    • 1tb Seagate drive

Re: Getting boot failure after changing ec firmware to hybrid phenom II x2 560

Well, I have to say this is a bit puzzling and I am at a loss to give details why the Core Unlock works with XP excluding Windows 7. This has puzzled me even more as I have always thought that the Core Unlock characteristic was BIOS based and had not anything to do with the OS, still you exist and discover.

The only thing I can think of is did you install the OS previous to you unlocked the cores? If yes, could you attempt reinstalling Windows 7 with the cores unlocked to observe if that makes dissimilarity?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryszard View Post
    Well, I have to say this is a bit puzzling and I am at a loss to give details why the Core Unlock works with XP excluding Windows 7. This has puzzled me even more as I have always thought that the Core Unlock characteristic was BIOS based and had not anything to do with the OS, still you exist and discover.

The only thing I can think of is did you install the OS previous to you unlocked the cores? If yes, could you attempt reinstalling Windows 7 with the cores unlocked to observe if that makes dissimilarity?
    I did install win 7 earlier than I unlocked however I also installed win xp prior to unlocking and that works fine. Don’t be acquainted with if it's immense to do with 64bit and 32bit operating systems. I'll endeavor re-installing win7 with cores unlocked.

If the Core unlock unable to work with the 64 bit version of Windows 7 could you repeat with the 32 bit version?

apologetic to be a pain but I don't play with core unlocking too much as I have an X6 CPU and am curious as to if it is 32 v 64 bit specific issue and just trying to narrow down the problem.

Well tried re-installing win 7 and it won't boot from cd rom with hybrid enabled. I tried on the hdd with win 7 on and the one with xp on, identical consequence - loads files ok then 'starting windows' on screen then blank and back to post. On the xp drive if I leave it to go from side to side post after this xp starts with all 4 cores although win 7 drives just repeats post. It works enormous as a 2 cores, constant overclock to 4100ghz with low temps (28 idle + 44/46 load) plus voltage at 1.4v, it immediately bugs me that I insincerity figure out why it won't run 4 cores on 64bit.

I will endeavor with 32bit win 7 I'll post results later.

Now tried to install 32bit win 7 loaded files ok but then froze on 'starting windows' and wouldn't go any further. I'm contented with it as a 2 core although hate not knowing why it does this!!

If you have a new drive attempt disconnecting your primary drive, connecting the new drive and then observe if that makes any dissimilarity. Attempt the unlocking process with no OS at all installed and then with the dissimilar versions of Windows. As essential said it doesn't seem to construct any logical sense. I can't appreciate what the OS has to do with the BIOS in this setup.

Quote Originally Posted by revolucioncg View Post
    If you have a new drive attempt disconnecting your primary drive, connecting the new drive and then observe if that makes any dissimilarity. Attempt the unlocking process with no OS at all installed and then with the dissimilar versions of Windows. As essential said it doesn't seem to construct any logical sense. I can't appreciate what the OS has to do with the BIOS in this setup.
    I can't appreciate it either this is a new-fangled build I position the whole thing up with only 1 hdd then tried to unlock, no boot, so out of curiosity I swapped to my old hdd with win xp on and it was ok. I'll try what you have suggested and start with a clean hdd and let you know

Tried loading os on clean drive nevertheless no fortune "windows failed to start" then BSOD showing bios errors. I've done a bit more investigate and it appear AMD stopped give manufacturers the 'codes' to unlock cores so they customized their boards to provide the unlock capability hence the 'hybrid' ec firmware and it's this that causes the divergence.

It appears that 32bit systems have more accomplishment than 64bit and it's all pot luck really depends on individual cpu, manufacturer and model.

I have asked Gigabyte and AMD but am still coming up for their replies to this. It will be motivating to observe if they say the same obsession.

It does sound quite reasonable and is quite much how manufacturers conduct themselves!