Thread: Discussion on Vcore Stability on overclocked processor

Discussion on Vcore Stability on overclocked processor

In about two weeks ago my cousin just bought a new machine. It has an AMD's Athlon 64 X2 3800+ cpu. I overclock and I had to increase the vcore, so far nothing special. but for a 2500MHz vcore of 1.525v, the cpu was hot enough: 40/45 * c on idle. And today I tried to lower the vcore to see if it was, and miraculously, the original vcore (1.4v/1.425v) is stable and the temperature is 10 * c and remain on 30/35 * c when idle. I just wan to get more suggestion and similar experience on the same.

Re: Discussion on Vcore Stability on overclocked processor

In my case I will more rely on cpu-z, Everest, etc like tools. The tool will tell you the bios voltage, but when you go for an margin of oscillation it is usually higher, at least on the Asus. There is no fixed rule for the cpu and for the graphic card that on what it might remain stable. For the first I will recommend you to check your stability by running tools like memtest. You must get a minimum result on that and then only you can proceed further for better results.

If you start a test, the processor begins to get hot. It may be that the temperature at which the components are the first 10 minutes is stable but the temperature rises in the next 15 minutes and so no longer remains stable. But what happens to the temperature goes up and you do not stop. At some point the processor stops working. I always leave enough time to stabilize the temperature of around 2 hours. I run some testing tools first to check my system stability by running OCCT like tools.

In my case when I put the Vcore in the bios to 1.600 V and I reboot, I do not get much issue on the same. I had found in my specifications that the Vcore varies between 1632 and 1648. You can play with the same until you does not get any serious kind of errors. But when I run heavy applications that consumes more processing power I can also go from 1,648 to 1,532, 1,548, 1.6, 1532, etc. and it keeps changing. When the Vcore down too low, the computer crashes.

de.das.dude Guest

LOL @ all you n00bs. its not about "my case" "your case"
    overclocking is an art which is mostly stabilizing the CPU, anyone can overclock to 4GHz, but to get it to stable is whats important.

first you need to lower the DRAM:FSB ratio from the bios.
    if you are a n00b you will ask why.
    this is because the memory(DRAM) clock is also depended on the reference clock you used to overclock the CPU. so if your memory aint top notch, it will restrict your overclocking.
    then slowly increase the reference clock by 5 units. after each increase, reboot and run stability program(AIDA64 maybe?) for atleast an hour.

then increase againa and do the same.. if it fails, then increase your Vcore by the lowest increment from the BIOS. then run stability again and continue like this.

Since you have an AMD, please dont increase Vcore above 1.4V, as damage after that will not be covered by warranty.

Slow and steady is the key here.

As for my acomplisment:
    done with stock air cooling and a crappy mobo.

here is my self modified rig in which i did it:

The full load test is done with CPU Stability Test 6. I have the same readings in my bios. I try with another power supply: Sparkle FSP300-60ATV 12V) It had roughly the same voltages and they all also provides different results. Sometimes much voltage does not only cause instability, but may be the direct cause of burning any component in your computer. However if you are thinking of settings 24 / 7 could have irreversible problems.

In my case if I stick much Vcore to pro, this did not start, same for the VTT. depends in many cases it is necessary to increase the voltage to keep the OC in equilibrium, but to increase beyond the point where the OC is stable and is clearly bad, it is best to try and not climb over the voltage before any issue. The voltage stability depends on your motherboard. I know the voltage does not cause instability, there can be various other reasons for the same.