Thread: Temperature shut down due to overheating

Temperature shut down due to overheating

hi guys, I am having a problem with my computer since past few weeks. My computer has intel core i5 processor 2.8 GHz, 160 GB hardisk,. My computer suddenly shut down when I was working on it. I had not spent more than an hour on my computer, when it automatically shutdown. It not happened only once but I had experienced it 3 to 4 times. When the computer rebooted, I got a message displayed on the screen saying that “CPU previously shutdown due to thermal event”, I am worried about my system thinking that it might damage the hardware. Can anyone please tell me what is causing my system to shutdown.

Re: Temperature shut down due to overheating

Temperature shutdown or thermal shutdown occurs when the computer gets overheated. The normal temperature of the system is 45 degree Celsius. First of all check the temperature of your system. There is a setting in theBIOS such that when the system exceeds critical temperature, BIOS forcibly shuts down the system. It is usually set at 75 degree Celsius. First of all check in the BIOS, at which temperature it is set. If the temperature is set too low then it is obvious that your system will shutdown after running for few minutes

In the BIOS, check the critical temperature settings. If it is set too low then configure it correctly. You would get this shutdown settings option under the menu in the BIOS. The critical temperature is not same for all the computers. It differs, and depends upon the processor and motherboard installed inside. Even 70 to 75 degree Celsius is also too high for the computer. Do you have any idea, what program was running on the system, when you experienced this problem. Overheating of the processor and other hardware components of the system could be one of the reasons.

Overheating of the system is one of the strong cause that results I shutdown. Make sure that the cooling fan of the processor and the computer is functioning properly. It is also possible that the shutdown temperature is set too low in the BIOS. If it’s so, then configure it correctly. I am sure that it is a hardware related problem. If your computer is shutting down repeatedly and the BIOS warns you about the thermal events, then don’t even try to switch on the computer. It may damage the CPU.

Check the cooling fans of the CPU and make sure that they are functioning properly. check if dust has covered the heatsink. If so, then blow it away and clean the mainboard with a piece of cloth. Check for any wear and tear of the blades of the cooling fan, and if you notice any thing like that then get it replaced. Try to keep the cpu temperature below 65 degree Celsius as computer operates well below this temperature. If everything is fine then format your system and freshly install the operating system and update the BIOS. I hope this would help you to fix the issue