Thread: intel core i7 running at 96 Mhz, extremely slow

intel core i7 running at 96 Mhz, extremely slow

Hello friends, i am having a problem with my laptop. It has core i7 720QM and running on windows 7 operating system. Normally it runs very well, but whenever i load up the processor it goes slow. It becomes slow with only Firefox and WinRar open. Even though if i close all the applications it still runs slow. The Cpu monitors shows the clock speed to be 96 MHz. it is higher than the normal. Restarting or rebooting the computer fixes the problem but this didn’t happened. I don’t understand what is wrong with it. Can anyone please help me.

Re: intel core i7 running at 96 Mhz, extremely slow

Running too many applications in the system at the same, time slows down the computer. Check how many applications you are running. If numbers of applications are running in your computer then you need to close them. Start the task manager and see the CPU usage. If the Cpu usage is shown 100%, then surely your computer will run slow. Go to the process and try to end task the process that are running unnecessarily. After you are done with it, did you notice any change in the processing speed. Now reboot the system. Always keep in mind that running too many applications at the same time, freezes or lags the computer.

Computer usually lags when it is over heated and there is throttling of CPU. Overheating occurs when you are running too many programs at the same time. The CPU usage increases and the processor gets heated very quickly. Is the BIOS of your system updated to the latest version. If not, then get the latest update for the BIOS. There might be the dust covering the heatsink. Blow air to clean the dust out of the heatsink. Check if the cooling fan is functioning properly. If the dust has covered the vents of the system then it is possible that heat is not able to dissipate.

Some computer uses clock modulation which can slow down the CPU. CPU-Z and other programs may become slow. You can check whether the laptop has clock modulation problem or not, just by running ThrottleStop. You can log the performance of the CPU with it and you can exactly know how your CPU is performing. There can be some problem with the design of the laptop and the heatsink. If you think that your laptop has some manufacturing defect, then get it replaced with the new one, if it is under warranty period.

Computer may also become slow if there is lack of disk space. Check for the low disk space and low RAM memory. If the internal memory is low and there is not enough disk space then it is obvious that your system will slow down and freeze. Try to clean the disk space by deleting the files that are unnecessarily occupying the disk memory. By doing this, i am sure your laptop performance will improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Martineau View Post
    Hello friends, i am having a problem with my laptop. It has core i7 720QM and running on windows 7 operating system. Normally it runs very well, but whenever i load up the processor it goes slow. It becomes slow with only Firefox and WinRar open. Even though if i close all the applications it still runs slow. The Cpu monitors shows the clock speed to be 96 MHz. it is higher than the normal. Restarting or rebooting the computer fixes the problem but this didn’t happened. I don’t understand what is wrong with it. Can anyone please help me.
    hey Martineau i know ur problem ..it also happened with me ...my labtop is hp dv6 3061ee ....suddenly u find ur prcessor is working like u r playing nfs & fifa and running scan on ur computer & listening to eminem on jetaudio and justin on winamp although nothin is opend except ur gatgets and desktop icons..and when u look at intel cpu usage gatget u figure out that the clock is 96 mhz and all bars of all 8 processors is about 60 to 90 % and may be even up to 100% when you do any operation. and when u do hipernate it keep along time to hipernate ...at the begining i thought that the last bios update (f.27 ) is the couse for this shit ...but i setup the previous bios version (f.23) an the same shit occur ..i kept on searchin for any thing that may couse dat problem ...and finally i ended up with the ****in copy of windows running on my lab ...it was the shit itself... becouse i set up the original home primum copy of the recovery and now every thing is very good i can run fifa and nfs and justin and shakira simultaneouslyy ...

I am also having an hp dv6 core i7 and im encountering the same problem. Everything game seemed to run fine until now that even fifa(ruuning on battery) is lagging. I haven't been able to figure out the problem. Please find me a solution. I am using hp original windows 7 home 64bit version.

Quote Originally Posted by manu567 View Post
    I am also having an hp dv6 core i7 and im encountering the same problem. Everything game seemed to run fine until now that even fifa(ruuning on battery) is lagging. I haven't been able to figure out the problem. Please find me a solution. I am using hp original windows 7 home 64bit version.
    Since you have installed the latest bios i dont suspect it be the cause in your case but then there are possibilities that the issue might be due to overheating of the cpu as well,just try cleaning the dust out of the heatsink and see if it is making any difference or not.