Thread: How to overclock GeForce 8800 GT cards

How to overclock GeForce 8800 GT cards

Utilizing this Expertool software with Zalman VF900 fan / heatsink, I am able to achieve a steady speed 788MHz core, 1034MHz memory speed and 1873MHz shader speed. Is this good for this card, or can be pushed further? I scraped the adhesive RAMsinks that comes with the Zalman fan, and each of the corner points with a little glue. Amid the sinks were the amounts of Arctic Silver 5. It is also used in the cooling fan base.

Re: How to overclock GeForce 8800 GT cards

In fact their above average, most cards usually top out around the core at 720 MHz on the core with the stock voltage of about 1.05v. Some cards seem to come with slightly higher voltage, about 1.1V. These cards usually hit the proper cooling to 750 MHz or higher. Many of the great overclockers seem to handle more than 800 MHz with 1.2v with some very simple mods, but obviously, the cooling system that uses and capabilities of the base of it is going to be restrictions. So if no modifications have been made (not cooling) I'd say that's very impressive. I had the opportunity to reach a 750 MHz XFX 8800GT passive system using an Arctic Cooling Accelerate recently, but nothing would be unstable.

I've heard some people say it's really dangerous to run than the 1000 MHz memory on these cards. Is that true, or is that just a general rule of overclocking (i.e., running somewhat higher than it "should be" can be dangerous)? Also, another thing I wanted to mention. The card manufacturer is the company BFG. A few months ago, my former roommate was angry about something and broke my old Zalman fan out of my old card ruin forever. I was not there when it happened, but apparently, just holds the card and essentially the copper heat sink until only twisted off. Anyway, the first thing I did was put the heatsink and stock fan, and I realized he was dead. Anyway, I sent the card to BFG, and they sent me a new card. I'm overclocking voids the warranty? Not only that, but the stock will sink was modded a bit, so it does not even seem the heatsink original value (the tag was gone and I had cut some parts of the front of the heat sink).

Some companies like BFG and XFX are a bit more lenient with your security and generally allows you to slip a card physically damaged or altered from time to time. It’s really a good deal, made a name for themselves by offering factory overclocked video cards and objectives of computer enthusiasts. If they were to get real picky about the guarantees, the fans are going to another company. And also, it is very difficult to damage a video card through overclocking. Normally when you get too far or you do not have adequate cooling or voltage sufficient to keep it stable and your PC will crash and return to the values of clock speeds before any real damage could be done. The real danger comes when you start Modding the card physically to increase the voltage to the GPU or memory as these corporeal mods can be spotted visually and theoretically to do the mods that will negate your warranty.

As for how safe is operating above 1,000 MHz memory, which depends on the quality and qualification of memory modules. If the memory modules on the card are classified 1ns, then they are rated to run at 1,000 MHz and may be able to get another 10% if you lucky. But if the card comes with high-end modules such as the 0.8 ns Samsung GDDR3 modules used in the 9800 GTX series, then you have memory modules rated at 1250 MHz and has even more legroom. So, basically, more memory modules are always preferred and sometimes you do not need a voltage increase or addition of cooling for high clock speeds.

I've been playing around with different speeds and different games, and it seems that you can run 1112MHz stable memory. But let me do this, in terms of performance any faster, speed up the clock "to improve performance" to raise the memory speed? I've pushed this card quite far and it seems like anytime you start having any problems is when the shader clock is too high. Now you can reach around 1930MHz stable, but nothing seems too much. Should I stick with my current speed (772MHz Shader memory/1930MHz core/1112MHz now, or is there something else I can drive this card?