Thread: Water cooled, hitting 73c at load - help!

Water cooled, hitting 73c at load - help!

I have a water-cooled i7 920 2.67 GHz that I am currently OCing to 3.6 GHz Prime95 runs on it, I'm in the 73-75c load is extremely high. Recently (from today) went from a mother Asus Rampage II Gene, an EVGA X58 SLI 3. While changing my water block, which just left the thermal paste on the block and the processor and rejoin the water block. Does the lack of a new application have nothing to do with the incredibly high temperatures? I'm at 1.33v on the CPU, with the rest of the population configuration. 174.42x 21.0 is set in the configuration. Is there anything else I should check what is running so hot? I would say that with a water-cooled system that I should be never above 50c load.

Re: Water cooled, hitting 73c at load - help!

The definition of cooling water is cooled somewhat with water. I know very well as I do every day, even have an h50/70, sometimes more than twice at the same time. I know it will not be equal to the execution of a loop engaged with the larger radiator area, but water cooling because it uses water to cool something. H50/H70 contain water, a refrigerator, which uses this water to move heat from the CPU to the radiator, which cools the water, thus cooling H50/H70 = water. Technically all copper loops using cool water, since water transports heat only. The cooling action is performed only by copper and aluminum radiators. Therefore, must be transported to the heat of the liquid metal cooling (LTHMC) or simply cooling metal (try running a normal cycle of all liquid and all day, trust me, you have no cold.)

Seriously, if a H50/H70, no wonder we're seeing temperatures. H50/H70 no better than the air coolers in their respective price range. If you think you should be getting better temps with a heat pipe cooler big air, then you better have your head in the clouds and educate yourself a bit. I removed the water block and put it back on my CPU for about 5 times now, without redoing the thermal paste, and have noticed an approximately 2 C on the other hand, cargo temperatures. Thermal paste is not redo much as some people are doing it to be. What is cooler than actually running? What is the speed of the fan is running?

Have you used both? I went through a couple of air cooling heat sinks before it reached the H50 and is in fact a superior cooler when used correctly. My temperatures were very similar at idle but under load was about 9-11degree C cooler with H50. At 4.2 GHz air cooling on all cylinders just is not enough. I was looking at 99 after long test periods. The H50 (in shares), I had all the range of 88 to 90. Currently I have my H50 over the range of 68 to 71. It is good practice to reapply the TIM each time you remove and replace a refrigerator. Despite their findings do not see any difference, should not be recommended to all who "is not a big deal," not only to save time from having to take off when it was really necessary, but only because it is common knowledge that introduces air spaces in the interface. Is only partly to do otherwise.

The shower baggery level on this issue is incredible. All that water use in the process of cooling the CPU is water cooling. There are several options with some offering better cooling than others, but in the end its still water cooling. Back to the OP, 73 degrees on a i7 chip is nothing to worry about. Mine is reduced to the mid-60 under a first load 95 when the ambient temperature is 20 degrees. Also cool a 4870X2 in the bonds of the same, and has only one double radiator, but if not reaches 80 degrees I'm not going to start worrying. Each time you remove the CPU cooler to clean and reapply the TIM. This should help your problem and if it was a serious problem that should see a significant drop in temperature.

That’s not what I'm saying at all, however every single person in this thread understand that the H50 uses a pump, a cold plate, a radiator (which also serves as its reservoir). A heatpipe cooler is a combination of phase change and thermal conduction, so it’s not strictly phase change, where as the H50 is, strictly, a water cooling loop, condensed in size and sealed. In terms of the H50 argument, the proper analogy would be more along the lines of: "The Canon Powershot is not a camera, because it’s not a DSLR" It obviously is a camera, with differences and smaller and more compact to make it easier to use.

To the original poster, here are a few tips I use to overclock my i7 920 to a nice and stable 3.9 GHz with a lower temp load. I run an Asus P6T motherboard on 6gb (2gbx3 modules) Mushkin ram. My CPU cooler is a Master Cooler V10 Hybrid. Even though the size of the cooler is massive, it's actually kind of a crappy cooler now. My temperature with my settings listed below peaked out at 67-69c in prime95.

I recommend getting a Thermalright Silver Arrow, even above your water cooler. It's been commonly accepted as the best air cooler around and beats nearly all sub $250 water coolers on the market. It even has beaten the Noctua NH-D14 by 1-2c and is far, FAR quieter to boot. Anyhow, here is how to drop your temps and get a higher OC as I did.

First, clean off both your heatsink base plate and cpu with 91% or 99% alcohol isopropyl solution with coffee filters (they dont leave any lint and are cheap!). Once you have both sides with a mirror finish, apply a pea sized dab of thermal paste (I recommend Arctic Silver 5) to the CPU and then put your heatsink/water cooling plate back on it (be sure to twist it by 1-2% to help evenly spread it if you can).

Second, turn off Hyperthreading. It actually hurts gaming performance and increases CPU temps by a good 7-12c. Only keep hyperthreading on if you use alot of encoding software, otherwise it's a waste.

Third, you're running more voltage than needed for your overclock. At 3.9 GHz, I run 1.25v with a 20x195 setting. My entire listing of settings and voltage are as follows;

Speedstep = disabled
    Turbo mode = disabled
    Hyperthreading (HT) = disabled
    CPU Ration = 20.0
    BCLK Freq = 195
    CPU voltage = 1.25v
    CPU PLL voltage = 1.86v
    IOH Voltage = 1.14v
    QPI/DRAM voltage = 1.2v
    DRAM Bus voltage = 1.6v

I'm running an i7 920 D0 revision CPU, which is probably what you have as well, so these settings will help you get similar results. As long as you aren't hitting 80+c then you are ok as the i7 920s are very hot chips once you go past 3.2 GHz

Remember, the basic rule of thumb is to run as LITTLE voltage as you can stable for your overclock. So, back up your voltage by an increment (whatever your motherboard sets as the default in bios for the smallest drop in voltage per reduction) and keep doing so until your system starts to BSOD or lock up while running prime 95. As you reduce your voltage, your CPU temps begin to drop.

Also, this is very important, never let your Dram bus voltage go beyond a .5v different of your CPU or QPI voltage, as this will cause your chip to fry itself. For example, if your CPU and QPI voltage are set to 1.2v then you can set your ram anywhere from .7v to 1.7v safely (although I'd never run my ram that low on voltage).

I hope this helps, I know this is the short and skinny on how to overclock an i7 920 D0 revision, but it will work. Oh yeah, don't let all the other haters get you down. They just need some Jesus in their lives and they'll learn it's better to help your fellow man than to condemn them on their hardware choices.

Good luck and God bless!

--Aaron (Solarnoize)
    Last edited by Solarnoize; 20-03-2011 at 10:22 AM.

Thank you very much for providing this information. This was very help full for me. I tried this out and it is working properly for me.

I do not know what kind of air coolers shit he was using, but if you look at all performance tests, the H50/H70 act in accordance with air coolers in its price range, as explicitly stated in my post. The H70 is approximately $ 100 to $ 100 Noctua NH-D14. And, of course, either using in-air coolers also make a difference in temperatures. Now, speaking of the sales price, that's a completely different story. I'm speaking here as recommended by the manufacturer. Now, I TIM. Maybe not make a big difference because my temperatures are so low on the load (30 C or less). Not sure, but here's my experience: I removed the block once to change the motherboard, and then put it back. After that, I took the block, put on a Sempron to reflash the BIOS (BIOS somehow got corrupted), and put the water block on the Sempron to cool during the flashing process. Then I took the Sempron and put back on the 1090T. So I took it back because I was changing the sheets again. Throughout all this, I have seen a change of about 2-3 C. I'm not saying it makes no difference, I'm just saying that it makes a big difference. On the other hand, it could make a big difference, because the OP is running in these high temperatures.

Heya all. Here is an update on some recent settings of mine after installing a brand new Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU cooler with Arctic 5 Silver thermal paste.

4.2 GHz overclocked (i7 920, D0 stepping)
    CPU Multiplier = 21
    BCLK Frequency = 200
    CPU Voltage = 1.3125
    DRAM Voltage = 1.6
    Hyperthreading = Off

Memory Type = 6gb (3x2gb triple channel) Mushkin DDR3 1600
    Memory speed = 1600Mhz (shows as 800 in CPUZ)
    (Memory Timings) = 7-8-7-20
    (Memory Timings) Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) = 60 Command Rate = 1T

Prime95 Test = 70-73c with my new Thermalright Silver Arrow
    Highest Temp in Gaming = 65c

I'm loving this new cooler, it's allowed me to reach much higher overclocks and keep the same temperatures as I had before, even with higher voltage and clocks. I highly recommend this CPU cooler. It's EXTREMELY rare for people to hit 4.2 GHz stable (prime95 100% load) on air cooling with an i7 920. If anyone has any questions, let me know. Here are my full system stats

i7 920 D0 stepping (2.67 GHz stock, overclocked to 4.2 GHz stable)
    Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU Cooler
    6GB (3gb x 2) triple channel Mushkin Ram DDR3 1600
    GTX 570 1280 MB EVGA Superclocked
    GS-6500 Burton Sentry Case
    Two 64 GB Corsair SSD (Sandforce-1200) in Raid 0

Hi Solarnoize,

Thats an awesome overclock, could you also perhaps post a screenshot of your desktop, I would hope it would be a moded one for sure. I was also previously using Noctua NH-D14 cooler but it was all crappy and now I got myself a Thermalright Silver Arrow, although it is quite big but it cools a bit better than the previous one, with better fans as well.