Thread: My laptop not working after cleaning the cooling fan

My laptop not working after cleaning the cooling fan

Hello everyone, I have a certain issue with my Dell Compaq laptop, the thing is after a long I have not opened my cooling fan from the laptop, it was last opened when I had given the laptop was given for service in my warranty period. According to my knowledge the process of fixing the cooling fan was done in a proper manner, since I had the manual front of me and I was reading the thing written in it and doing the following changes in the laptop. I don’t know where did I went wrong in this assembling process, can someone help me if I had skipped any step that is not written in the manuals.

Re: My laptop not working after cleaning the cooling fan

I too was facing a similar kind of problem in the desktop, my problem is I removed the processor fan, and I removed the sticky substance behind the processor fan. And after that when I opened the processer,I was amazed to see the components which were so small and delicate, I supposed to be touch the pins of the processor with the bare hand which should not been done. But when I fixed the cpu fan it was not working, I thought it was the problem of processor as I touched the pin but it was due to the improper fixation of the cpu fan. According to my knowledge it must be due to the collection of dirt at the rotation slot.

If you can remove the CPU fan from the laptop, then it is advice that you should be very careful of about removing the fan, As the part in the laptop are very much delicate and even little bit of jerk in the laptop can lead to damaging the other part of the laptop. Once opened then clean the blade of the cpu fan, by the cotton cloth. Then take a solution which contain the alcohol and not water, try to use it to remove all the dirt present in the minute area of the fan, see to it that you don’t spill the cleaner in the other component of the laptop, due to it may affect the component.

One of the best methods is to clean the whole laptop in the presence of some expert who knows how to fix the connection and also the problem that you will face during the assembling process. When you tried to remove the fan did you banged any of the component in the motherboard, because they are so delicate that even a small jerk can change the orientation in it. Try opening the entire component and try again to connect it to restart it and check the speed of the fan, if the fan is rotating in it normal speed. If you want to check the speed then it is in the bios post message and checks the speed of the fan in that.

It is always better to give your laptop in the service center for the servicing, because if it is in the warranty period then it better to check the whole thing of the laptop, instead of only the cooling fan, also a slight mistake done b you will lead in certain hardware to cause to be in broken case, so before you try to opening the cases try to read the whole manual, instead of only the cpu fan only. also see the other blog and the site for getting the valid and helpful information about the process of opening the laptop.

it you have cleaned you heatsink and fan from either a laptop or desktop,i would advise you to go and but some thermalpaste,even if it has a thermal pad on it ,just apply minimum paste to pad and resink.

also just take out and reinstall ram and all should work.
    i am a service engineer and with all protocal, you reapply new thermal paste and reapply ram,so you can work on a clear system.

hope it helps,thermal paste is very little to buy,once you've done all these actions,if it still doesn't work,then you've either but to littlwe paste on or ram is corrupt;i.e broken,which would need replacing.
    also turn on machine with reapplied sink/fan and ram,it fan doesn't start then make sure you've reinstalled cable ,if cable in and no joy then you may need a new fan.

Chef.

also are you working on dell i5? if so make sure all processor is coverwed with pea size paste.
    Last edited by fattiechef; 04-03-2011 at 04:45 AM.