Thread: Overclocking Intel Core i7 950 on Air Cooling

Overclocking Intel Core i7 950 on Air Cooling

I want to overclock my cpu. Here is an short description of my system. It is Intel Core i7 950 on Intel based motherboard and a cpu cooler by Cooler Master. Now I want the things which will happen to my cpu if I overclock it on a air cooling system. I heard that for this you need a good liquid cooling support. And if I do not have that then what can be consequences. I am not going to overclock my system under extreme conditions. What are major damages that can cause to my cpu. Basically everything is fine in my system except the cooler. And I had found liquid cooling as a very messy thing which I do not afford to buy simply. Rather what can be the limited frequency that I can try out on my system.

Re: Overclocking Intel Core i7 950 on Air Cooling

You can go for overclocking, as Intel Core i7 cpu is designed for this. It consumes less power and does not heat up so fast. Depends on the type of user, of course, but what is clear is that for that price you can take the bus to clock frequencies that put him far ahead of most modern processors and higher frequency range. Right now my cooler is Megahalems Prolimatech. The assembly is a small challenge, because the fastening system is most curious. The Megahalems Prolimatech Not surprisingly, given that the pileup weighs about 1 kg and ultimately freezes the motherboard. If you have a power air cooler then also you can overclock your system.

My motherboard, an Intel DX58SO. I have a Intel Core i5 cpu on it with the normal cooler that comes with the cpu. I managed to reach the 4.3 GHz, but my system rebooted after some time due to overheating. I am not going to put much strain on this now. The overclocking is an art, and above all, is not particularly comfortable. Change a few settings in the BIOS, restart it, pass stress tests and if all goes well go back to the BIOS to turn up a little bit of some parameter. After 2 hours I tried a much lower frequency and things worked out here. So the conclusion that if you want to overclock at a higher frequency then you will need a better cooling support for your system.

Overclocking is just speeding up the cpu above the factory rate to get good performance. But before that run OCCT and check that everything was stable. This also degrades the life of your cpu. I was also trying to overclock for the first time. I bought super cooler evga noctua along with the cpu. I had not planned to go to extreme frequency. I just want to leave my cpu at 3.2 GHz which is normal. Its life span is not greatly affected because the voltage remains the same. But after that my memory started having issue with the system. I have friends who have overclocked there Core i7 up to 4.0 GHz with air cooling. So that was the plus point they have in their system.

The native frequency of the new Core i7 980X is set to 3.3GHz. The Intel Turbo Boost is an accelerating technology that allows one of its 6-core to reach at the top speed of 3.6GHz. If 3.6GHz in provided on only one of the cores of a Core i7 then I believe that I might get more if all the 6 Cores of the cpu is overclocked and reach the maximum performance. The cost of carrying this processor completely stable at this speed is a slight increase in voltage in comparison to what is used right now. But remember that liquid cooling is must for that. You cannot risk of burning your cpu out while overclocking it with the normal air cooler.

This type of processors always build high expectations. In this case, Intel is committed to improving the manufacturing process to boost its Core i7 aside frequencies for the processor core and the other to give us added to improve system performance by overclocking our processor safe, simple, fast and efficient. The new Core i7 Extreme 975 is the best example of the new step of these processors and D0 is the best way to discover their potential. Like all core i7 9 this series quad-core processor is a native that has Hyper threading. This allows you to process up to eight "threads" or process threads simultaneously. But I will also not recommend you to overclock the cpu without better cooling solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Elsie View Post
    My motherboard, an Intel DX58SO. I have a Intel Core i5 cpu on it with the normal cooler that comes with the cpu. I managed to reach the 4.3 GHz, but my system rebooted after some time due to overheating. I am not going to put much strain on this now. The overclocking is an art, and above all, is not particularly comfortable. Change a few settings in the BIOS, restart it, pass stress tests and if all goes well go back to the BIOS to turn up a little bit of some parameter. After 2 hours I tried a much lower frequency and things worked out here. So the conclusion that if you want to overclock at a higher frequency then you will need a better cooling support for your system.
    above 3.6 Ghz u need a better coolant than provided by intel
    to reach 4Ghz u need a liquid coolant