Thread: First time overclocking AMD Phenom II x6 1090T

First time overclocking AMD Phenom II x6 1090T

I had upgraded to AMD Phenom II x6 1090T recently to use the advantage of overclocking. I have a Asus motherboard. It was the old one which I had not upgraded due to short of budget. Now I just to overclock this and before that I am trying to connect some resources for the same. The best thing about this cpu is that comparing to the Phenom X4, it is straight to the hearts that have been added to the cpu. I am disappointed with the cache which I assume to get more higher. For the L1 it is 128 and for the L2 it 512 and that is enough. I had also checked my system stability via OCCT and that was well good. I had run diagnostic for my hardware also which were positive. I just want to share the overclocking experience who had already done this.

Re: First time overclocking AMD Phenom II x6 1090T

You must be aware that there were two versions of the Phenom II X6 which were launched so far. The first is Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz. In that you get 3.6 GHz Core Turbo and 125W TDP. The second one is Phenom II X6 1055T @ 2.8 GHz with 3.3 GHz Core Turbo. So you must first ensure which your model. Both have a difference in the clock frequency. AMD feature a technology called Turbo CORE. It is somewhat similar to Intel's Turbo Boost. This works as it automatically, without requiring software or driver boost your system performance. But it works with only compatible motherboard that you have to check in the specification. Simply try the turbo boost to get maximum performance from your system.

You must know that all bios motherboards do not include the ability to disable the Turbo Core. There are special made motherboard for that. So you have to also check the specification of your motherboard. The overclocking can be done more easily via Overdrive facility. Here when one core of the cpu is working then clock frequency lies between 3.5 and 3.6 GHz. When you set the 2 cores for working then it goes to 3.5Ghz. The same lies for the 3rd core also. In hes same way there is a limited amount of frequency which changes between the core activation. It is impossible to say now which of the software is right, but in any case we can see that the Turbo mode. The performance gain lies between 0 to 10% usually. Most applications in our test protocol taking advantage of 4 cores and more, the overall impact of the Turbo CORE is insignificant.

I myself found that the operating voltage is reduced which is a good point for overclocking. But it is also true that it can vary from one processor to another. I had measure the consumption of the configuration to take the power supply used with an output was around 80%. For the testing purpose you can try Prime95. beware, other component such as graphics card or hard drive are at rest during these measurements. Phenom II X6 1090T is relatively economical in comparison to the other cpu's in the market. I will recommend it rest on the top of all platforms. The consumption is important which determines your system stability and performance.

I am using ASUS Crosshair Formula IV motherboard on my system. I have the same cpu. My cooling support is Noctua NH-U12P SE2. At first when I overclock the same the frequency lies at 3.2 GHz for a real vcore 1.25 v Vdrop due to either a consumption of resources. Here I tried to stabilize the frequency to a lower voltage, and I was able to do at 1.18 V, which goes back to only 95W consumption. It is possible to reach 3.6 GHz. The system does not goes so heating at that point. At 4 GHz, and consumption increased more than 93%. These two amd processors are exactly the same and offer the same performance at equal frequency. In contrast, the 1090T has a higher overclocking potential.

I have the same cpu, Amd 1090T and I have had overclocked the same to 4.15ghz. It is impossible to reach 4.2GHz for me even with the vcore was 1.55v 1.50V. When I try the more heat is generated. It does not matter I am using Cooler Master V8 on my system. But the temperature keeps on rising which can damage my cpu completely. What I found here is that the 1055T requires more Vcore for a frequency almost identical apparently depends on whether the rise in the 1090T 95W. On the same I doubt that the cpu stays at 3.2 GHz to 8GHz. Unless AMD manages to further optimize over its 45nm etching process. The Phenom II X6 1055T is more efficient than the i5-750 sold at the same price.