Thread: Overclocking AMD Athlon II x4 processor

Overclocking AMD Athlon II x4 processor

I am using the Athlon IIx4 620 processor, Base clock was 2.5 GHz I believe. The max steady clock speed I have been able to get is 3.5 GHz. I think I may be at my boundary, but would like ideas. Presently my maximum temperature is about 55 C. My present clock is in fact 3.6 GHz. Generally my multi is 12.5 in its place of 13. I bashed it back up and that is where I run into problem, I as well cannot appear to run any superior FSB but do not think any bigger voltage would be wise. Therefore any suggestions would be respected, would more voltage be suitable in a try to get my advanced FSB stable? Should I just be pleased with a 1 GHz Overclocking?

Re: Overclocking AMD Athlon II x4 processor

That is a good clock. Is your RAM being overclocked? Where do you have your vDIMM set? It is extremely possible your motherboard has reached; it is bound at 270 MHz. A bump to the Northbridge chipset might help out but that is extraordinary. What is the voltage of your CPU Northbridge? You might as well consider turning down your HT Link a nick or two.

Primary thing, you are at your highest for cooling at 55C, which is the magic number for Phenom II or Athlon II's for max Overclocking on air. 3.5 GHz is a nice overclock; lots of reviews get it to around 3.8 GHz or so with more serious air cooling. If you would like help, provide all your system specs for example:
    • Motherboard:
    • Cooling:
    • Power Supply:
    • Case:
    • RAM:

After that a screen shot of the SPD tab in CPUZ is obliging as well. The clearest thing I can observe for your unsteadiness is your low CPU NB. I am not 100 percent confident that the Athlon II's react like the Phenom II's to a best CPU NB but I would guess they do. At 3.5 GHz I am not certain if it would make a vast dissimilarity, but try a 2300 MHz CPU NB speed. Tell us how that goes.

I got the similar processor as you and I overclocked it to 3.3 GHz. With the FSB at 246 and my RAM is running 833 x 2 MHz. I have seen the processor running 4.0 GHz as well. But I have obtained a off the ledge PC so I cannot change much in the BIOS. Just be pleased with the 3.5 GHz or purchase an improved cooler and try to get higher.

I should have been extra precise regarding the RAM being overclocked. If you seem at the SPD tab you will note the 7-7-7 timings you’re running are just good to 533 MHz. Since you are running 721 MHz, approximately 40 percent quicker than 533, I would call that Overclocked. You might desire to lesser your speed and release your timings.