Thread: Core i7 960 overclocking & cooling advice

Core i7 960 overclocking & cooling advice

Please advice me how to cool an i7 960, which i will be using for making calculations. The process will be running at full load for one week can be sometimes. The case is an Antec Sonata 3. For the PSU, I think a Corsair 550w. I have heard that the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 is pretty good but a lot of people advised me for an OverClocking, but mine will not be overclocked, so I wonder if that is appropriate. One more thing which i would like to ask you is that do i need to install some coolers to keep my processor cool. I need your advice in this matter.

Re: Core i7 960 overclocking

Its good to overclock if you think that your CPU will have a load which is quiet heavy. The gross or rational overclocking machines is not what it was several years ago now this feature is part of the material and is provided by the manufacturers. To answer your question the heatsink which came along with your CPU is designed to work with in such a way that there is no need to change it if you are not overclocking. Sonata 3 is an old case see if you can not find something more modern and better adapted to the rest of your config out of the cpu.

I have a lot to do with 3d rendering, I can never have enough power. my "old" was without problems and q9550 which was overclocked to 3.2 GHz in continuous use. In a comparable rendering I have minutes on the computer and 3:35 on the Core i7 960 3:00 min expected. with the new CPUs and motherboards I know that there is such a simple tip like my Q9550 (fsb) the 960s to about 3.6 or 3.8 overclock. I think it should run without any sort of problems in continuous use what's your opinion in this case. I am having a 12 GB Corsair XMS 1600 memory and an Asus P6T v2, but in contrast to my old computer which just has standard intel fan (q9550 in it was a scythe TOPFLOW cooler).

As per the conditions which you have mentioned above it should run without any sort of problems because I often discuss with "computer consultants" who always emerge the sales brochure Nvidia (which maintains much blur on the usefulness of quadros in 3D rendering) to mount the workstation, while I prefer to work on a good 24 "(with a radeon soft mod if needed), but until now no issues with the apps I use. Alternatively to check, I actually bump x64 for very large files (for my previous report, the bulk 9GB file ...) and network rendering, it's true it's pretty effective Basically, I do not face any serious issue using this config and the option "config nag" still seems the least headlock.

Re: Core i7 960 overclocking & cooling advice

You should try to use the lowest setting if you are not aware of the unlock frequency. Prior to this make it sure that it is not on auto. Finally Bumping the QPI voltage to about 1.33 as well as lowering the CPU voltage to about 1.25. If you find that the temperature is fine then you do not need to worry about it. But as far as i know i think you will get lower voltages at 4ghz. for this you will have to overclock the memory somewhat higher. You are absolutely getting the best but it depend on your what other things you want and how will you get best performance.