Thread: Test Methodology of EVGA GeForce GTX480 Superclocked

Test Methodology of EVGA GeForce GTX480 Superclocked

I am eager to know some things about the EVGA GeForce GTX480 Superclocked. I have got many information when I tried to search it on Internet. But no-where I find the proper test methodology. So thought to put the query over here. Since, you guys explain in details with easy language (useful for understanding), I thought that posting here would definitely be helpful. Please provide some notes regarding the test methodology of EVGA GeForce GTX480 Superclocked. I am hoping that I will get some quick responses from your side. Any other information related to the topic would be grateful.

Re: Test Methodology of EVGA GeForce GTX480 Superclocked

For the test system we used a motherboard with Intel X58 chipset, DFI production, in particular, was selected the LANParty UT T3EH8. As we used a model of the processor Intel belonging to the family, namely the Core i7 Extreme Edition 980X. The operating frequency has been pushed up to 4000MHz, a setting of 200MHz BCLK with 20x multiplier. The processor is cooled to liquid as the video card has been maintained at the air with the original heatsink. For ram we have relied to a kit of DDR3 6GB G. Skill weblog absolute capacity, certified to operate at a frequency of 2000MHz with latencies of 6-9-6-24-1T. Graphics drivers are used Forceware 260.63 Beta, including the last packet PhysX Software 9.10.0514. All tests were repeated three times, in order to verify the validity of the results. All hardware is mounted inside a Silverstone TJ07 case. For synthetic benchmarks and games it would be better to run tests under the following conditions:
    • At a frequency of 4.0GHz processor;
    • Video card default (726/1451/3800MHz).
    The tests were conducted on Windows 7 64-bit, without any particular optimization.

The board has come to the office in the traditional carton EVGA. In front are the main features of the card, such as the amount of on-board memory, the various features supported (3D Vision, PhysX, CUDA) and the model. In this case it is version Superclocked (SC) factory overclocked. The operating frequencies have been set by the manufacturer at 726/1451/3800 (Core / Shader / Mem) compared with normal GTX480 700/1401/3696. The budget provides for the video card:
    • EVGA Driver / Software Disc (includes EVGA Precision);
    • HDMI to Mini-HDMI cable;
    • DVI to VGA adapter;
    • PCI-E 6pin to 2xMolex;
    • PCI-E 8pin to 6pin 2xPCI-E;
    • Instruction manual.
    I think that this post would be helpful for those who are looking for this graphic card.

The engine incorporates a GF100 VP4, which was presented last October on GeForce GT 220. The VP4 adds acceleration support MPEG-4 ASP (Advanced Simple Profile), as well MPEG-2, VC-1 and H.264. It is no longer necessary to use the S / PDIF audio input to enable HDMI. The GF100 supports HDMI audio on PCI Express, enabling multi-channel LPCM. You can not handle the bit-stream TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, but only the some audio tracks. In the final part of the tab, you can see the two auxiliary power connectors, one 6-pin and one 8-pin. E was necessary to adopt this solution because the card has a TDP of 250 W. NVIDIA recommends a 600 Watt power supply for the correct operation of its GTX 480, but you need a 800 W power supply in case of good quality 2-way SLI configuration. The type of GDDR5 ram is manufactured by Samsung and serigraph K4G10325FE-HC04, are the same used on all the GTX480. The actual operating frequency, in this model, is set at 3800MHz, and thanks to a 384-bit data bus, provides a bandwidth of 182.4 GB / s. In total the card has 1536MB well.

Like all references, even in this tab are the voltage regulator CHILL 8266, which allows using special programs, and without acting physically on the card, adjust the VGPU up to a maximum of 1.138v. Please note that this operation is risky and not recommended to beginners. EVGA also offers a variety of monitoring software, creating custom profiles for the fan and operating frequencies, the test of stability overvolting. These include the excellent EVGA Precision, the 'Scanner and OC EVGA EVGA E-LEET, downloadable free from the manufacturer, provided that they have signed a graphics card.

I would like to comment on this graphic card (superclocked). In the light of tests carried out we can not certainly be disappointed by the performance offered by EVGA Superclocked. In both synthetic benchmarks and in games is the proposal EVGA came out heads held high, posting the top performance with a single GPU. We note that the activation of the filters involves a relatively small impact on overall performance. The power reserved to the last optimization work and the excellent NVIDIA GPUs allow you to fully enjoy even the more expensive titles of the moment. Noteworthy performance improvements offered by the latest Forceware driver package 260.63Beta and its PhysX software, especially in the highly Mafia 2. So, according to me, not a wrong decision if you have bought it.

The EVGA Superclocked not disappoint even overclocking. Trials in the laboratory, in fact, the card was able to stand safely and in full stability, the frequencies of 850MHz respectively for the core and 4200Mhz on the ram, without generating any kind of artifact, even after several hours of use with noble titles. This has been achieved by slightly increasing the voltage up to 1.050v GPU, using the excellent MSI Afterburner. For the stability tests we relied on software EVGA OC Scanner, leaving the management of the fan automatically. The temperature has stabilized after a few minutes of stress test at around 94°C with fan above 90%. In these conditions, the noise generated by the fan is really high but necessary to contain the operating temperature and maintain full operational stability. Thus we can not recommend you to set certain frequencies in daily-use. We best be about 750/1500/4000 or so, without using the GPU voltage and perhaps creating a custom fan profile with EVGA Precision, in order to obtain the best possible compromise between performance and noise.