Thread: Overclocking AMD x3 720be

Overclocking AMD x3 720be

I have Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4 motherboard on my computer. This motherboard came with a driver dvd from which I have installed Easytune6 software. It consists of Easy boost to check processor clock. I tried to check my cpu clocks using this utility a lot of times but every time I have a bluescreen which forces me to reboot my computer. Is there any specific reason behind this? Can you help me in this matter?

Re: Overclocking AMD x3 720be

Beware of any sort of automatic overclocking and software overclock. If you want to overclock then do it the right way in the BIOS. Make sure you read well on the subject before you start, so you do not do something stupid like driving all volts on auto, etc. If, at any time, you receive a warning appeared in red font on your monitor than simply go to BIOS and click on "load failsafe defaults". This will bring your motherboard bios to its default settings and will remove any of the changes that have been made until now.

You can least try is to unlock the latest kernel! If you purchased your processor this year, chances are good that you have a fully functional quad single-core manually disabled. The value of an extra core is a MUCH bigger difference than you normally would have been able to squeeze out of overclocking.

Piece of information to unlock the BIOS:
    1) M.I.T. (MB Intelligent Tweaker)
    2) ACC (Advanced Clock Control/Calibration) on Auto.
    3) Reboot
    4) ?????????
    5) PROFIT!

When you talk about the latest available bios, is the beta bios new then? If I lock up so I get a 4 core, will this lead to a cpu becoming unstable? Do you have a program I can use to test stability with if I manage to open the last kernel? I have never done this before and so everything is new to me. But I can assure you that I will read every small piece of information that I will find related to this in order to prevent any hazards.

If you select beta or the full version, it will not have much to say on stability. I've at least never experienced anything strange with the beta BIOS for gigabyte (running even F3-beta for 790fxta-ud5). To answer your question regarding stability after unlocking of the core, we can take the "backstory" first: AMD experienced a number of production errors in the beginning of the quad-processor phenom2 family. Some processors came out with both one and two either completely broken or defective cores. Instead of throwing them (and lose lots of money), they decided to add them in the already existing dual-core segment, and create a new x3 segment. As time went by, their production techniques improved, with fewer and fewer processors (approximately zero?) Came out defective. However, AMD decided to keep the life in the segment a bit by manually going and disabling one core. That's why I added if you had bought the processor during the past year. If it turns out that the kernel is defective, it should not be more dramatic than it turns off spontaneously during startup, or a blue screen, etc. if you get into windows. Then just go back to AAC and put it back. No components will normally take damage whatsoever.

Unlocking the core will not result into instability, either disabling it or if it is faulty and turns it into a x3 instead. So if you unlock it, it is hardly unstable. But you can always check this with prime95. Do whatever you want but always look at the temperature with prime95, or real temp or whatever you would use to read the cpu temp. You can even google for it to find out what others have to say about it and you will have a list of things that are related to your CPU. Always remember that while overclocking cpu max temp, max v-core, etc. are some of the important things that you need to watch out for!