Thread: GTX260 temperatures

GTX260 temperatures

I have been using Nvidia GTX 260 since May. It never gave any issues to me until yesterday when I noticed some temperature fluctuations. I tried installing RealTemp to see what the actual temperature is and it was 80+ deg C. This certainly is too much for me. I would like to know what are the normal temperatures for this graphics card when in idle mode or when in load. The rest of my computer components are running much cooler especially my processor which is at 30 C when idle and 45 C in full load. So how my video card temperature has raised so much? Do I need to install some cooler to get things normal?

Re: GTX260 temperatures

Although the temperature seems serious, you must not be so worried if you didn't noticed anything unusual until now. However, there is a possibility to increase the fan speed once a certain amount of temperature has been reached. Just fiddle around the settings and you should have some solution with you.

Its better to have separate profiles set for your normal use and for your gaming. In normal use, you will not be reaching so high GPU temperature and so there is no such requirement for monitoring GPU temperature. However for gaming, you can have some software/utility (such as EVGA Precision) which keeps your graphics card cooler. Set your fan speed to 75% or higher. This will improve air flow through your card and increase cooling considerably.

The temperature seems to me normal. If you still want then look for some monitoring tool to control the fan speed. 80+ C temp seems normal if you are playing high end games but if it is in normal games then its a big issue. It also depends on the environment surrounding your computer.

GPUs are designed to run hot so I don't find any problem if it goes beyond 80C. However, if you want then you can control the graphics card heat by maxing out the fan speed manually. Since you didn't mentioned anything about the same, so I would like to ask if you did that already? If your system is shutting down, then it seems to be a PSU issue. It could be overheating itself.

A very common problem, which results into computer heating up or some time it won't even boot, the dust. Make sure your computer is dust free from inside. If required you can even use air compressor or vacuum cleaner to clear it off. Also make sure your graphics card is placed on a proper location where it is not heated up by any other components.