Thread: Intel Core i7 980x unstable at 4.01GHz

Intel Core i7 980x unstable at 4.01GHz

I want to buy Intel Core i7 980 processor and I had heard about the overclocking support of the same. I want to overclock the same at 4.01 Ghz and I need to know that does it stays stable on that or not. There were some videos saying that the processor might not stay stable on that. What do you suggest for the same. What are the other overclocking capabilities of the same.

Re: Intel Core i7 980x unstable at 4.01GHz

For overclocking Intel Core i7 conditions are favorable. The changes in this processor is LGA based 1156 socket. Except for the reworked memory controller, QPI the clock and lower power dissipation are lower, the models 1156 and 1366 are very similar. A Core i7 920 and a 860 cost the same, as well as the models 870 and 940th with he new turbo mode support.

Ensure that your system has a good power supply support and ventilation to make this work. These factors depends on multiple Turbo Boost which is number of active cores and utilization. The fewer the seeds are in operation, the higher rise of the clock. The chip power consumption and temperature plays a big part. One solution would be to disable individual cores in the BIOS, but that would not be in terms of a multi-core processor.

First you must get information on the terms of overclocking. Like BCLK. With the Core i7, the reference clock BCLK was introduced. This is indicated by 133 MHz and is needed for overclocking, as the FSB. Unfortunately BCLK cycle also depends on the memory clock cycle and QPI. This clock must always be twice the memory clock divider means and must, if they can be reduced availability. This clock is the clock for the L3 cache that the memory controller, the QPI controller and the I / O areas of the Core i7.

The Vcore, or also known as Core Voltage is at the core voltage. This voltage is set by the manufacturer. As soon as you overclock the processor, however, so it runs faster than it has been discontinued by the manufacturer, the number of current differences is higher, leading to instability. To avoid this collapse, the voltage must be increased. For the setting in the BIOS. From a certain processor speed must also increase the voltage to be increased.

Take care that CPU PLL should be made for the Core i7 is not higher than 1.89 volts. These figures come from various motherboard manufacturers. Strangely, see the Auto settings for 200 BCLK clock is different. There are more than 1.9 volts. With sufficient system cooling, this should be acceptable. The QPI/DRAM value should not exceed 1.35V. Here, you should take it very carefully, because more than 1.4V has led to damage to board and CPU.

It can happen that you do not reach the 180 clock BCLK,. The reason is that in the Bios there are some missing settings. The is related to some P55 boards. For example, the QPI / DRAM voltage and UnCore voltage. Now you can instead find an IMC Voltage and bring about some increase in voltage significantly higher BCLK clock speeds with it. The speech is from 1.4 volts to be able to stable clock BCLK 200 or more. Meanwhile, this increase also with the latest BIOS version has been adjusted.