Thread: 65 fans, 112 setups

65 fans, 112 setups

Well, by means of an i7 860 overclocked to 4GHz, you moreover utilize a single San Ace 9G1212H101/9G1212H1011, or you make use of a pair of Yate Loon D12SH-12's. What do you do when you desire to run your Intel i7 860 at 4GHz by means of air cooling. My move toward was to get a Prolimatech Megahalems. I purchased a number of Noctua low sound fans. I am set, right. I am able to run my system in my non-airconditioned computer room and utilize it the entire summer, right.

Re: 65 fans, 112 setups

It turns exposed that I had bitten off a bit of a challenge. You are going to necessitate a number of stronger fans. Additional than to choose fans you might not immediately rely on fan specs. Many companies selling items to consumer’s in attendance specifications that are not always truthful (I am being benevolent here). You might not immediately read reviews, in view of the fact that they were moreover oriented to radiators (the Megahalems is not a radiator) or to case fan utilize, or used methodology that was not cooperative to me. Besides, how do airflow (in CFM) or static pressure communicate to the cooling power of a Megahalems? You might immediately purchase a real brute of a fan, additional than the computer must sit on my desk not far from my ears. If you required a balance between performance and noise.
    Searching the forums can help you to find your answers more quickly

I determined to test a lot of fans to observe what they might do to cool my system down. In view of the fact that the Megahalems is premeditated not to put up much resistance to airflow, I determined that I would in addition utilize it as a proxy for testing the airflow of various fans so I might conclude which fans I would prefer as case fans. So I tested a numeral of fans that ranged in CFM. In the end, I tested 65 fans in 112 configurations and arrangements. I tested them in forty-minute runs, sometimes additional than once.

I do not desire to heat my chip. Yes, I be familiar with they be able to handle lots of heat, additional than I determined I would stay within official parameters. That meant, for illustration, that I do not desire to let the temp at the center of the heatspreader – Intel’s official measuring point – go beyond the “thermal design power” of the chip, which is 72.7c. At present, I do get a reading from my motherboard that gives the impression to be the heatspreader temp (HST). The motherboard software calls it the “system high temperature.

I am not completely certain that the system high temperature is the HST. In several case, my hottest CPU core temp time after time runs 9c in excess of the system temp. In addition, for the reason that the CPU temps are higher they are additional accurate for the reason that the chip reports not the actual high temperature additional than the distance in centigrade from the maximum permitted junction temperature – the chip determine to throttle itself on top of its Tjmax of 99-100c – and the less important the distance from the reported temp to Tjmax, the additional correct it is. In conclusion, when people report temps they report CPU core temps. So I determine to report CPU temps, and the max CPU temp I determine to permit is 80c. I might push that to 81.7c additional than I do not trust the correctness of the sensors. I am in addition concerned regarding heat transfer.

If I am running backwards, then, the max permissible dissimilarity in temperature in excess of ambient determine to be 50c. This gives me a rough calculate that I be able to transfer from my basement workshop where the ambient is 16-19c to our computer room where the ambient be able to reach 30c. I call it an irregular measure for the reason that the higher the ambient, the less the capacity of a heat source to relocate heat to a heat sink. For the reason that I do not be familiar with what the magnitude of this dissimilarity is, I am keeping a max high temperature difference of 50c and not 51.7c.

My underground room workshop is cool and quiet, by means of ambient temps ranging from 16c to 19c, and ambient sound less than 10 dBA when there is no action upstairs. The chip and motherboard are set in an NZXT Beta Evo that has had its pinnacle and back grills detached, and set on its side. The Megahlems was slanting front to back (or right to left, if you determine to). The exhaust from the heat sink blew right out the back where the rear interrogate used to be. The case was not stimulated for the duration of the testing, and the side panel was left off. No case fans operated during the testing.