Thread: E8400 underclock

E8400 underclock

I want to underclock my E8400, as I have almost never need the service because I have all current games with me. Now I want to save some electricity, and underclock it, so 2.5 GHz or less, but that would be with c1 + n. Can I use it at 6x multi 1668MHz.?? Actually I am not having any idea about an underclocking. So it would also be better if someone over there provides some information about it.

Re: E8400 underclock

Hi, why do not you get the voltage v at 1.225? I can not imagine at the board really. In principle, you do it the same way as in the overclocking, fix your PCI frequencies and sit down the FSB. Maybe just before the multi to 6 and set the fsb .. Leave alone because you thereby lose any memory bandwidth. Then run it would need up to 2.4 GHz. Then you set the tension step by step down until it comes to prime or orthos errors .... then again a step up, and good. Can always put in some games etc take the test. But then also, I would like to recommend you to first learn all basic things that are required for an underclocking.

Underclocking or downclocking also known as is the practice of altering the settings synchronous speed of a circuit to maneuver at a lower clock speed that the manufacturer's specification. Underclocking is the opposite of overclocking. More new and faster RAM can be underclocked to match older systems and inexpensive way to replace rare and continuous memory. This might also be necessary if stability problems are at higher settings.

For microprocessors, the rationale is normally diminishing the need for devices heat debauchery or decrease the electrical energy consumption. This can provide increased immovability of the system in elevated temperature environments, or may allocate a system to operate at a lower air flow (and therefore quieter) fan or without one at all. For example, a Pentium 4 processor at 2.4 GHz registration can be underclocked to 1.8 GHz and can then work securely with abridged fan speeds.

For example, a Pentium 4 processor at 2.4 GHz registration can be underclocked to 1.8 GHz and can then work securely with abridged fan speeds.
    However, this is perpetually at the disbursement of a certain system performance. Underclocking usually also used to intimately monitor a process for its behavior to a lower speed where a fast operation speed of the process does not permit that, it gives the programmer or how to run an application or the software that is running unusually fast. Also being used where it is needed the supplementary power of the CPU to shun high energy consumption or even less thermogenic processor and superior stability.

Dynamic frequency scaling (the underclocking automatic) is very frequent in laptop computers and is commencement to materialize in desktop computers as well. In laptops, the processor is underclocked habitually involuntarily whenever the computer is running on batteries. Most innovative notebook and a few desktop processors also they involuntarily underclocked when beneath light processing load. Intel has also used this method in its Core 2 Duo processors, with a utility called SpeedStep.

Some processors underclocked mechanically as a suspicious measure, to keep away from overheating that could cause everlasting damage. When this process accomplishes a temperature level estimated too elevated for safe operation, active thermal control circuit, automatically declining the clock and core voltage of the CPU until the temperature has returned to a safe level. In a appropriately cooled environment, this mechanism must operate rarely (if ever).

There are numerous dissimilar competitions underclocking comparable in format to the overclocking competitions, except the goal is to have the lowest recorded computer, matched up to the highest. The following are some basic advantages of it :
    • Condensed generation of heat (and hence dissipation).
    • Abridged consumption of electrical power.
    • A life anticipation of the hardware significantly longer.
    • Augmented stability.
    • Reduced sound from mechanical cooling parts (ie. Removing the fan)

The underclocking is to lower the operating frequency of a processor in order to reduce heat generation, can be reached without the powerful fans and finally get rid of noise. The principle that allows us to understand this process is fairly simple. Suppose we have a circuit (processor) to which we apply a voltage of 1.75 volts approximately 800 million times per second (800MHz!). Din doubt that this will generate a certain amount of heat. Then, if we decrease the frequency to 700 million times per second (700MHz), the heat generated will be considerably less, since we consumed less energy.

The ideal point is obtained when we dispense altogether with any type of fan. But in reality it is almost impossible to run an Athlon or a Pentium 4 with no fan. However, it may be good achievements refrigerate our next-generation chip "underclocking" with a fan whispering K6-2 instead of having the turbine loud as usual. However, the lower the operating frequency of a processor, it is also possible to reduce the supply voltage without losing stability. Thus, it achieves even greater reduction in energy consumption and consequent heat generation. By trial and error process is called underclocking, and is what will determine the frequency of our processor in accordance with the silence that want to obtain and the level of performance we are willing to resign.

The underclocking allows us to stop using powerful cooling because the capacity of processors increases to withstand high temperatures lower the MHz is, our chip will operate at very high temperature, but will suffer no stability problems. Take for example an Athlon Thunderbird 800MHz works steadily to 59º C. This same chip, set to 700MHz, retains to 65º C. Overclocked to 980MHz, hangs in passing the 35th C.