Thread: Rampage 3 Extreme + Intel i7 980X + 4x 5870 + LN2 Overclocking

Rampage 3 Extreme + Intel i7 980X + 4x 5870 + LN2 Overclocking

I want to purchase this motherboard. I found that there is lack of USB connectors on the Asus Rampage Extreme III and since I have a plugged into the single USB connector on my motherboard it works slower. The other thing I want to do is to add a 4x 5870 GPU support on the motherboard. My processor is intel i7 980 cpu. I want to overclock the same and need tips on it. This is my first time overclocking. I had connected all stuff and now just waiting for some better feedback.

Re: Rampage 3 Extreme + Intel i7 980X + 4x 5870 + LN2 Overclocking

It is possible to overclock the processor on this board and with no issue you can do that. All you need is that your system must be perfect enough with no installation errors. Yet it is these boards look quiet nice and heavey and it is capable of bringing the features which many PC users sometimes do not dream. The motherboard had a good overclocking capabilities with good power efficiency.

The board is designed to add upto 4 GPU support on it. So you just need to add a compatible gpu to it and done. The motherboard is fine and you can use that for overclocking. I found this board with PCI Express x16 slots which can enable or disable as per your use. ROG Connect is another overclocking feature. Similar to the ASUS Crossfire Formula IV can be accessed via a USB cable from a second PC or laptop on the motherboard and voltages and clock speeds can be read or set.

The layout of the ASUS Rampage Extreme III is very good. But one falls out of the box at once the power connectors! While one normally finds a 24-pin ATX connector and one EPS connector, here you have two of the latter, and two additional Molex connectors. However, available in the everyday life of the 24-pin connector and EPS for a stable operation. You need to configure the gpu properly. It is not a short investment. If you rig is enough strong to handle the pressure then you can for the same.

The board has four PCIe x16 slots, each of which is tied with eight or 16 lanes. The top and middle of each port has 16 lanes, which are redirected to half if needed to lower down the respective slot. In between is still a PCIe x4 slot and a single PCI slot. The maximum six DDR3 bars held by a retaining clip each - a system that has advantages, especially in built graphics card. Without GPU support also you can overclock Core i7 with Rivatuner.

The BIOS of the ASUS Rampage Extreme III is open as usual. The first item is for us to find one of the most important, under Extreme Tweaker are, after all the overclocking-related settings. In the very top row, the current CPU and memory clock are displayed, including the status of the LN2-mode to be found. So you does need to buy any software. Just connect all and increase the frequency of the same from BIOS.

The Assu Rampage Extreme III is costly but a very powerful motherboard. There is overclocking settings provided in the BIOS. It is not readily possible to measure the power consumption of individual components directly, we have considered the power consumption of the overall system, whereby the efficiency of the power supply also plays a role. You must have a good powersupply in your system so that it worked well.