Thread: Linux utilities for core temperature, memory timings and clock manipulation

Linux utilities for core temperature, memory timings and clock manipulation

I recently an Asus A7N8X Deluxe nforce2 based. Asus provides a utility with among others the CPU temperature. Under Linux, I installed lm_sensors and i2c-2.8.0-2.8.0. By typing a report on Notepad, Windows: 47 degrees, Linux: 39 degrees. To reach the temperatures found in Windows but I support Linux! Hence my question: as the Asus utility is a priori not to question, is what lm_sensors does not give good information? Otherwise what would be the explanation? What is your experience related to Linux utilities for core temperature, memory timings and clock manipulation.

Re: Linux utilities for core temperature, memory timings and clock manipulation

I did confirm the explanation I was given. Upon installation, we have two identical PCs, one Linux RH 6.2, 1 NT 4 Server, which operate side by side in the same room conditioning. These are two PC manufacturers who have a temperature display Crane, so the measurement and display of temperature is due to the same way regardless of the OS, and it was roughly the same distance as you. To convince me that the difference was much tied to the OS and not the dispersion between the components of both machines, we have completely reinstalled by reversing the two machines and found the same gap.

Possible explanation is a bug in lm-sensors, which invert 2 values. Another explanation: if the version of Windows is below 2000 (I think), it is possible that the processor works more; there is a way for an OS to stop the processor when there is nothing to do (HLT instruction I think), which is not used on older versions of Windows, so they heat faster processors.

These difference in values paraisssent me quite plausible (except bug with lm_sensors). I discovered that when I started Linux as my laptop battery lasted longer Linux than Windows (though less intensive use or more equal). The way the processor is run there is surely something? I hope that you have understood the thing that I am trying to explain.

Being a Linux user increasingly hard, I know how to monitor real different temperatures of my pc which runs on Linux Mandrake 10.1. I soupsconne because my fan does not work correctly and to be the cause of my sudden crashes (in windaube, it crashes more often than Linux, but even my two operating systems crash due to a temperature rise of my components.

Linux has a utility "hddtemp" to verify a graphically and continuously the temperature of one or more hard drives. The example here under Fedora 8 and Gnome. "Hddtemp" is included in most distributions of Linux and Gnu-supported by modern hard disks. Install (if necessary) "hddtemp", "gnome-applet-sensors" and "lm-sensors" , # Yum install hddtemp (root), # Yum install gnome-applet-sensors (root), # Yum install lm-sensors (root). Edit the file / etc / sysconfig / hddtemp "and add / drives the machine at the end of the line" HDDTEMP_OPTIONS (IDE disk / dev / hda, hdb. SATA Disk / dev / sda, sdb etc.) Access to services Linux by typing in the terminal and as root: # System-config-services (root). A dialog box opens. Enable "hddtemp" to "runlevel 5) and save. Right click on the dashboard> Add to Panel> Monitor Equipment. A panel temperature is added to the dashboard. The display of all temperature is configurable alarm. Right click on the panel temperature on the panel> Preferences click on the "Capture" in the box "hardware monitor Preferences". A click on "hddtemp". Select the disk drives installed. An icon is added for each hard drive

Is there a utility to have the temperature of the cpu and possibly hard drives as wallpaper on the desktop or in the Windows taskbar? I should clarify that it is for Windows XP.I was thinking something like "BGInfo". Well apparently it requires the manager widgets yahoo, and my computer is already slow enough. The widgets, I find it consumes too many resources in Windows XP, at least on my pc