Thread: Core i7 920 Stock Failing Linx in 6 minutes, help please

Core i7 920 Stock Failing Linx in 6 minutes, help please

I am trying to overclock my processor where I am facing certain issue. Here I had just added new Core i7 920 Intel processor and extended my ram to 2GB more. I am having a 3 ATI GPU on SLI. I had tried to overclock once but the same failed. I found stock failing issue on the system. What should be done to checkout any issue before going for overclocking next time. Thanks.

Re: Core i7 920 Stock Failing Linx in 6 minutes, help please

I suggest you to first monitor your CPU temperatures during overclocking. In case if it goes too high then you must stop that and check that your system has enough powerful PSU. Some people never get serious on the the topic of increasing temperature. So there quiet less tools for the same to check. You must monitor your cpu temperature always.

Try OCCT in your system. This tool will you that how much your system is stable for overclocking. The program also runs on 32 bit system. The results are mostly reliable. What I personally found is that if the program tells you to instability, it is almost certain that is true. If it says no problem then there is a small probability that the tool might failed to detect an error.

In my case I am using OCCT for checking first system stability. It is better to carry out a proper test and take measure. I will also not tell that this only the best tool for overclocking. There are many more. I had run IntelBurnTest for 15 hours on my system and there were some of the few errors detected. I am overclocking my system for playing games. Your system looks less in power.

Good initiative but I see too that this new program, except for a rudimentary interface. IntelBurnTest is an other program of stress, it also has a possibility to adjust the duration. What do you mean by if it goes higher than OCCT. I had installed a cpu monitor which shows some temperature above 50 degree when I play games. But when on ideal the same goes back to normal.

Usually if your motherboard supports overclocking then you can go on for that. There are some overclocking option provided directly in the BIOS. I have seen that in Dell pc. You can run that and use the cpu power. Overclocking for some hours will not burn you out. But on the same hand keep a eye on the temperature. Some errors in the starting means that your system is not entirely ready for this.

In my case everything when I use Prime95 or IntelBurnTest settings it failed. Even I does not found nothing great in OCCT. The one thing that OCCT offers is that you cannot set the time precisely in this tool because of its mode of operation, depending on the amount of RAM available, the number of tests, CPU. But at-least you can get an indication about the CPU's power to hold overclocking.