Thread: GPU overclocking tool

GPU overclocking tool

What are users using to configure the shader and memory clocks of their
    GPUs in Linux Operating system?

There's the easy and reliable nvclock tool, but that has not been updated for a long time , and only performs very well for me for older boards GTX280 is fine but GTS295 is not, for example. It doesn't even detect my GT240 as valid.. it suggest that the clock rate is -273672872 or some other.

Some other overclocking concepts is to modify xorg.conf and add the CoolBits flag. But this only lets you overclock the DISPLAY gpu. Do you know about some other tool out there I am forgetting to mention here ? I would really just like as command-line tweaker such as nvclock.

Re: GPU overclocking tool

Well, I got something for you to resolve your confusion first. It is the collection of small steps .In case, if you are running with X, you need to modify your xorg.conf file to add Option "Coolbits" "1" to your driver.

Then after come onto the terminals and open the command line, Now , From here ,you can change the shader and memory clocks with a line as follows :

Code:
    nvidia-settings -a=[gpu:0]/GPU3DClockFreqs=576,1008
    Searching the forums can help you to find your answers more quickly

GPU overclocking tool

OK Just need to move for next step... the source code of nvidia-configuration is GPL and we are able to see that it's entirely a well and fit wrapper around the NV-CONTROL X API library. So, can we call that API using our own code, or is it that API that's refusing to manage non-display GPUs?

I am now going to perform the "compilation of wrangling" which is requierd for testing. Still I encourage input, advice, or experience ! I just need to lower the shader clock rate on my GPU and I don't have any desire to branch into another programming sub-project.
    Searching the forums can help you to find your answers more quickly

GPU overclocking tool

Hello Hockman,

Thanks for such a useful information. I now suspect that the driver is what's avoiding to change the clocks unless the GPU is configured to display, with the watchdog made enabled. It is one of those scenario that byte-zapping reverse-engineering could likely facilitate a solution by making correction of some misplaced "if" statement in the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Morea View Post
    Hello Hockman,

Thanks for such a useful information. I now suspect that the driver is what's avoiding to change the clocks unless the GPU is configured to display, with the watchdog made enabled. It is one of those scenario that byte-zapping reverse-engineering could likely facilitate a solution by making correction of some misplaced "if" statement in the driver.
    If you are running in such type of environment then maybe you can use a Windows program to reconfigure or the BIOS - clock rate. I haven't used it before but heard a lot about this. I am not sure that if it is exist.

Hi,

I got your suggestions and tried it well but That won't work fine for me as I requires to do (I need to down clock and compare rates) but that is also a very creative and interesting thoughts ! I never considered about configuring the BIOS itself!

I would expect that it would be still since it is updating the GPU's BIOS EPROM itself. That is entirely the commercial "SuperClocked" "Turbocharged", "Gold Sample" many more cards do, though likely they also organize the stability testing at the maximum clocks/volts.Would you tell me something , Any method in Linux to made disable the watchdog kernel killer on cards used for display? Or at least reconfigure the timeout to be suggested as 5000 seconds and not 5?

Does the clock reconfigure persist when the X server is getting stop ? If you feel like this then you need to go for this and try out yourself : Just make a minimal x-server, no window manager, no inputs. And then make a shell script: start the X server,now change the clock, kill the X server