Thread: GTX 260 won't clock up

GTX 260 won't clock up

Hello to all
    I came on this forum to get some tips, to overclock a GTX 260 (home of innovative 3D). For the moment it is overclock to 695 mhz for the core 1405 and 1010 for the shaders for the memory (overclock with EVGA Precision). So I come to the point, above 700 MHz graphics card crashes. You will ask me why I want to overclock my card, I'll answer you directly because, as this map is beginning to be old and starts to be limited in the new game I shoot 30-35 fps max and I do not think its huge. The below is my configuration :
    • Processor: Intel Core i7 920 (4.2 GHz)
    • CM: Asus P6T SE
    • Ram: OCZ Platinum 1333 mhz
    • GC: Nvidia GTX 260
    • DD: 1000 GB
    • Monitor: LG 1680 X 1050
    • Case: 922 HAFF

Re: GTX 260 won't clock up

First you should know each and every thing before doing an overclocking. Because an unsuccessful overclocking may damage your motherboard. Consider cooling, for example, while systems that equip the reference cards are generally not bad, the products purchased separately tend to produce better results. Heat pipes are generally very useful: the more there are, the better. Same for sinks: bigger they are, they are more efficient heat with a larger surface area to dissipate. This is a crucial point, the reference cooling systems are generally designed to keep the GPU at a temperature of 80-90 ° C at normal frequency, while generating the noise level tolerable (at least when they are well thought out).

If you start to increase the frequency of the GPU, you increase the amount of heat, which means that the fan in his attempt to dispel it, will gradually become louder force to accelerate until when it arrives at its maximum speed. Once it reached, it becomes impossible to continue to increase the frequency. In general, the cooling systems of reference maps offer little leeway, even if the fan is able to circulate enough air through the heatsink, it remains limited by its surface.
    Searching the forums can help you to find your answers more quickly

For doing an overclocking, you need three tools :
    • RivaTuner or MSI Afterburner => to overclock the graphics card
    • FurMark => to validate the overclocking
    • GPU-z => to know the exact frequencies

NVidia, there are 3 frequencies for all graphics cards, namely :
    • GPU frequency
    • Shader Frequency
    • Memory Frequency

The GPU frequency is related to shaders, therefore let the overclocking tools automatically calibrate the frequency of the GPU with Shader: it is easier to start.

start GPU-Z to know the frequencies of the graphics card. The three frequencies stated above are surrounded by the blue rectangle :
    you can therefore note that the ASUS has frequency 650 / 1150 / 1400 MHz (GPU / Memory / Shader). For starters, you can use Riva Tuner or MSI Afterburner. I prefer MSI Afterburner because it generates graphs on the right that displays the temperature, frequency, and the occupation% CPU GPU graphics card.

For starters, you can use Riva Tuner or MSI Afterburner. I prefer MSI Afterburner because it generates graphs on the right that displays the temperature, frequency, and the occupation% CPU GPU graphics card. I recommend that you also have GPU-Z to open at the same time as MSI Afterburner. To run the graphics card to 100%, using FurMark will heat the graphics card. For example, at rest, the graphics card is 52° and supported with FurMark we approach the 83° with the fan at 60%. To overclock, you will start to increase by 10 Mhz processor to have artifacts. The artifacts are "inconsistencies" in the image generated by the graphics card and are recognizable by dots or lines at random.

It must also take into account the BIOS and driver of the graphics card. In an ideal world, these two elements should always support overclocking and clock scaling (that is to say, reducing the frequency of the GPU and memory in 2D), but unfortunately some manufacturers do are not always very scrupulous and simply overclock the GPU five percent and then label the map "OC Edition. The 3D performance support them are actually improved slightly, but maintain a blocked card overclocked frequency has a big disadvantage: it prevents slow when it is inactive. That is the better for your electricity supplier, but it is quite another to your portfolio ... Moreover, a graphics card running continuously at maximum speed still generates the same amount of heat that you played most demanding games and 3D you simply surf the Internet. Same thing for the fans, who always turn at the bottom.