Thread: How to overclock ATI 5850

How to overclock ATI 5850

Hi,
    I had recently added a ATI 5850 to my system. My system specification is MSI motherboard with 4 gigs of RAM support and Core i7 processor. I had installed the card successfully without errors. But as I had not done this before so for that I need some help to overclock this GPU for the first. What you suggest for the same. What are the recommended tool.

Re: How to overclock ATI 5850

Overclock a component can damage your system. A processor does not suffer from friction during operation. You can not compare a processor and an internal combustion engine, to turn a faster processor will not cause a small increase in temperature of the latter. The negative points of the same is that if we increase the supply voltage in unreasonable proportions.

The only thing you can really damage your OS is that evil could enjoy some crashes during your experiments. By following certain rules such as blocking the AGP / PCI frequency, an efficient cooling system, a reasonable increase in the Vcore, quality food or good ram, you will minimize the risk of premature failure of your equipments. So keep your system driver update.

The frequency of a processor follows the product fsb (Front Side Bus) by the multiplier. In fact, a processor is a multiplier, the fsb determines all the frequencies used by various parts of the motherboard to communicate with each other except the graphics card. For example, an AMD Athlon 64 3500 + has a multiplier of 11 and fsb is 200 MHz, which leads to a frequency of 11 * 200 = 2200 MHz (2.2 GHz).

By increasing the frequency, there will come a time when the processor will be more stable, it will be necessary to increase the voltage of the processor that is to say the vcore. After each increase in the frequency of its processor must check the stability thanks to programs like. You can see how to overclock this, but Windows is much more convenient than the bios because it takes after each change fsb or coeff. Restart the computer to check stability.

There are various tools for that. Like Speedfan which is a software to interprets the data transmitted by various sensors on the motherboard, it can offer many features along the motherboards. For benchmark try SuperPi 1M. Benchmark fast that calculates the number Pi to 1 million decimal places. It quickly detects a problem of instability of the memory or processor. The result it gives you at the end is very insightful.

SuperPi 32M is same program but this time the calculation of net Pi with 32 million decimal places. This is a test much further seeking more RAM and allows you to mount the processor temperature by its length. If this test runs successfully, it is already a good indication of system stability. Prime95 is a nice tool to run test mode, in option, the software leverages your processor and memory and is very hot.