Thread: Overclocking Atom N270 with Set FSB

Overclocking Atom N270 with Set FSB

I was jaded so I figured I would OC my diminutive net book. I went online and establish out that you are able to utilize set FSB to OC. At present, I got the entire that downloaded and used the PLL number ICS9LPRS365 Set FSB detected my chip, but, it would not let me set several of the frequencies. I determine to choose a frequency, hit SET FSB, and it determines to go back to stock. If anybody has a explanation it will be greatly appreciated. And to anybody who says this is pointless and I do not necessitate it, go vent your non-over clocking attitude in a different topic plz.

Re: Overclocking Atom N270 with Set FSB

I do not think you determine to be capable to locate any compatible over clocking software for your machine. Not to declare. Software over clocking is extremely hazardous and unstable compared to bios over clocking. I thought the atom might not be over clocked 100mhz, if at the entire. Well, it is an atom. A solitary core N270 has approximately the similar presentation as a 2.4GHz P4 northwood. It is by no means fast but it is a netbook, it's not supposed to be.

It is a net book, you cannot play on it (solitaire perhaps lol,) watch movies in HD (at smallest amount not without Ion platform {which I do not think is obtainable just yet} without stuttering, etc. And for what you do be able to utilize the netbook (text editing, playing music, web browsing, sitting on it, etc) it determine to be additional than sufficient (I even reckon an old PIII might have got the job done.) Unless you getting an Ion netbook (which once more I do not think they are out immediately yet) presently get the cheapest you be able to get with the smallest SSD that you be able to live with. I actually do not trust in an HDD in such an diminutive laptop as for certain it determine to be dropped once in a at the same time as (perhaps you drop your backpack with it inside without realizing.) an ssd determine to create it feel a lot faster with the upside of not risking it if it falls (unless you drop it from extremely high.).

It is accurate that without a dual core N330, watching HD video without an Ion based platform is not probable. I have watched 720p prearranged video on excavation (I imagine it was MKV) and it was manageable, but it had infrequent desyncs and stutters. I have got an MSI wind w/the N270 and love it. I over clocked it to 2.0ghz and I be able to watch 720P no difficulty, it was a matter of bumping up the speed and adding a 2nd performance of ram.

It is not a terrible processor to say the least, but I would stay for the dual core netbook chip that has incorporated bridges to come out, supposed this summer. Would be a lot faster and save way additional energy. The presentation of n270 is regarding half the speed of the centrino solitary core at 1.6ghz. In view of the fact that our motherboard had no PCI-Express or AGP slot (and in view of the fact that PCI graphics cards are getting scarce), you limited ourselves to the GMA 950. To evaluate it, you have to used the Gigabyte motherboard, equipped with the similar chipset, with the Pentium E 2160 clocked to 1.6 GHz to match the Atom.

The Gigabyte Mini-ITX motherboard presents a small number of over clocking alternatives the FSB be able to be modified, connecting 100 and 700 MHz (sic). On our model, whose coefficient cannot be customized from the fixed 12, the base frequency is 133 MHz. We were capable to reach a constant 1.8 GHz (12 x 150) without touching the voltage settings and as much as 1.86 GHz (bus 153 MHz) by changing the FSB voltage in the board’s BIOS (+0.3 V for the bus). Presentation increased in linear style, but so did power utilization – from 62 to 65 W connecting 1.6 and 1.8 GHz, and you measured 67 W for the platform with the Atom over clocked to 1.86 GHz.

The dissimilarity is able to be explained by the increasing in bus electrical energy. But make a note of that the augment in power consumption is not due merely to the CPU; the chipset was in addition over clocked. Why did not you run tests on playing HD. Well, first of the entire for the reason that systems using an Atom processor are not intended for that. Intel is targeting NetTops, which are systems anticipated for Web browsing, not for watching Blu-ray disks.