Thread: Dell Vostro 1500 overheating

Dell Vostro 1500 overheating

I am having Dell Vostro 1500 laptop and I am facing a lot of overheating issues with it. I am on Windows Vista and I have fan continuously kept on since Windows is boot up. But still I can feel the warmth of hot air coming out of the ventilation. What can be reason behind the same? Could this create a big problem in front of me in the near future? How can I avoid those problems?

Re: Dell Vostro 1500 overheating

If the fan is blowing out lots of heat then that's a good indication of the cooling system working absolutely perfect. You just need to monitor from where and what is actually generating all those heat. May be your CPU is not cooling down and you may use thermal paste to get it cool down. It may also be due to dust accumulated across the cabinet which is not allowing the rig to cool down. Use some good air compressor to remove the dust from your fans, peripherals and specially heatsink.

I agree what has been said earlier and I would like to suggest you to underclock your CPU to lower down the temperatures. Don't worry this is safer method and would not blow your computer in any way. You can refer many articles available on the net to underclock your CPU. You also need to use some CPU monitoring utility to monitor the CPU temperature during the process. I would recommend CPUZ, SpeedFan or even Everest.

Look at your problem, it looks me a problem of your motherboard. Have you ever noticed any other problems related to motherboard like onboard video not working or something other? Another possibility could be power supply either not enough or some loose connections. Recheck if your cables are connected properly and also if it satisfying the power consumption of your system.

Mainly the problem comes from the Dell Vostro 1500 design itself. Basically a single heatpipe is being shared to cool down the CPU and GPU which is causing the problem. However you can prevent the heating problem by going into the BIOS and disabling the cpu cores to decrease the heat of CPU. Once done I think you may be restarted and if not do the same to let the changes to take effect. This should definitely solve your problem as it did in my case.