Thread: Need suggestions in buying new core processors

Need suggestions in buying new core processors

Hello there, I want to upgrade my computer and for that I need suggestions to select new core processors. I am very confused about selecting the processor. I cant decide whether to buy a Intel i5 processor or AMD X4 processor. So please suggest which is a better choice between the two. Any help regarding the topic is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Need suggestions in buying new core processors

I would suggest you to buy Intel Core i5 processor rather than buying an AMD X4. Intel core i5 processor has a totally different architecture which enhances the performance of the processor as compared to AMD X4. On the other hand, AMD X4 is only suitable if the computer will be used for running high end graphics application. Heating is the main issue in AMD X4 processor because of which the performance of the computer falls when the processor heats up. Therefore buying Intel core i5 processor would be a wiser choice. Hope the post helps.
    Searching the forums can help you to find your answers more quickly

Thanks for replying to the post. The description of the performance of both the processors really helped me in selecting the correct processor for my system but now I have other question related to the configuration of the system. I have heard that core processors need PSU's with higher power rating. So is it necessary to upgrade the PSU for the i5 core processor? Currently I am using PSU which has 550watt power rating. Will it be enough?

There is no need to upgrade the power supply unit for the new i5 processor if not many devices are connected to the motherboard. Your current 550 watt power supply unit will be enough for the new processor to function properly. The power supply unit will only require change if you are planning to use graphic card which has lot of cooling techniques applied to it. All the modern graphic cards require high wattage PSU's for functioning properly. Hence the PSU change will be required if you are using any modern graphic cards on your rig.

I already have a ATI radeon HD4890 graphic card which I plan to use in the new computer. I am still not sure whether to upgrade the Power supply unit or not. Will ATI radeon HD4890 graphic card work on the new computer? Or will I need to upgrade the graphic card also? If upgradation is needed then please suggest some graphics cards.

Yes the ATI radeon HD4890 will work perfectly on your new computer without any problems. As the graphic card work perfectly on your older computer which had a 550watt PSU, you will not be required to change the Power supply unit. If you are planning to use any graphic card later to the above mentioned then you will have to upgrade the PSU. You can use 5850 or 5870 HD graphic cards to improve the performance of the system but then you will have to upgrade the PSU to atleast 750watts.