Thread: How to Overclock ATi GPU

How to Overclock ATi GPU

Hey Guys,

I'm planning to overclock my ATi GPU, but before overclocking my ATi GPU, i would like to know that is there any kind of benefits while overclocking my ATi GPU. Can any one tell me that how to Overclock ATi GPU? What will happen if i try to overclock my ATi GPU? Does any body knows about it? Kindly provide me the correct solution for the above issue.

Thanks.

Re: How to Overclock ATi GPU

It is important that you understand the risks associated with overclocking your graphics card. Overclocking a GPU is a less common process than overclocking a CPU, and above all, it’s more complex. One of the reasons for that is that a graphics card’s BIOS is not as easily accessible as a motherboard’s. Overclocking, overvolting or modifying your card may invalidate your warranty, so be sure to check the warranty terms before you begin.

Make sure your CPU and Memory overclocks are fully stable by running some passes of Prime 95. Make sure to save the current clocks and such as a profile like default or something so you can easily revert to the original settings if you experience problems. If you have any doubts put everything back to stock. Also make sure you are on the latest version of the ATi drivers, if you aren't, you can download the latest from your manufacturer website. Now you should make sure that the fan stays at 100% at all times at least for testing purposes so you have the maximum amount of cooling possible. If you are using a 2xMolex to PCI-e power adaptor or are near the limits of the power output of your current PSU overclocking may not be recommended, as you overclock power draw can increase dramatically.

Please remember that not all GPUs are created equal, just because someone's overclocks to a certain level does not mean that yours will necessarily be capable of doing the same. While overclocking your ATi GPU, you need to increase your core speed by 5MHz with RivaTuner and after that you need to check stability with FurMark. You need to keep on repeating until you see artefacts / glitches. At this moment drop speed by 5MHz until you don’t see artefacts anymore.

If you have a crossfire setup you must set the GPUTool Stress test to run in full screen mode. Ati Tray tools offers two ways to do this. Either with a separate graph, or with system tray monitoring. I think when overclocking the graph is nicer since you can see trends of temperature and see when your card has peaked or not. RivaTuner is a complete powerful tweaking environment, providing you everything you may need to tune NVIDIA GPU based display adapters. Right-Click on the Taskbar Icon and Choose hardware/Monitoring Graphing or System Tray Monitoring. Unfortunately ATITool can't detect artifacts no matter how much they fill the window with yellow, but just looking for them myself I didn't see any at 770MHz. Download GPUTool to an accessible folder and run it. Download MSI Afterburner (even if you already have Afterburner on your PC make sure you have it updated to the latest version). To do this tick the 'Renderer uses Fullscreen' box. Before you begin make sure 'Synchronise settings for similar graphics processors' is ticked in the 'Settings' screen of MSI Afterburner. If you want to adjust the clocks individually for each GPU of your multi-GPU setup you can untick that option and use the drop-down list to choose which GPU to overclock. Once you have done one, use the drop-down list to switch to the next GPU.

Running it for a good 15 to 30 minutes would mean it's a stable overclock. Try forcing a manual fan speed profile in afterburner. It could potentially be a strange driver issue that only affects your particular setup. It may possibly be a GPU BIOS issue.

josh123 Guest

Well...There are four programs that come to mind when overclocking your ATI graphics card, two of which are the most prominent: Ati Tray Tools, and Ati Tool. Another is more often referred to when using Nvidia cards: Riva Tuner. The last being built into the Catalyst Control Center: ATI Overdrive...