Thread: How to Over Clock the Intel Core2Duo??

How to Over Clock the Intel Core2Duo??

I have heard that Over Clocking increases the performance of the processor. I don't know much about the concepts of the over clocking. Can someone help me out by providing some guide for over clocking ?? I am using the Intel Core2Duo processor. I am not much known with the over clocking. So also suggest me that should I over clock my processor.?? If Yes, Please tell me how..!!!
    ASUS P5VD1-X
    Intel Pentium Dual Core 3.00GHz
    Maxtor 160GB
    Corsair 1.5GB PC3200 RAM
    Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256mb
    Phillips DVD RW
    Magna 500W PSU
    XION II Steel Black Gaming Case

Re: How to Over Clock the Intel Core2Duo??

Before you start overclocking, try and familiarize yourself with the BIOS and some of its basic functions. If you built the PC yourself, you will have been into the BIOS at least once before to adjust the time and date and maybe some other settings. You should also know how to access the BIOS, how to make changes in BIOS, save them and exit the BIOS settings.

The basic principle of overclocking starts with focusing on the FSB. Then raise FSB in small amounts until the system gets unstable. Then increasing the CPU voltage a notch or two before trying again. The best way to start overclocking is by raising the FSB by 5MHz increments and testing for stability using Orthos every time that you do so.Orthos stress test the CPU, finding any errors in calculation. Orthos is the Free Ware that can test the 4 core CPU's.
    Searching the forums can help you to find your answers more quickly

For Over Clocking you need to specify the model number of your processor also. Like which Intel Core2Duo you are using..?? It can be E6320, E6400, etc. So it is necessary to mention the model number of the processor also..

Over Clocking is done to increase the performance of the processor. To get the best performance, you will require to have the memory in sync (synchronization) with the FSB (Front Side Bus). Doing this allows for the maximum memory bandwidth, due to which the performance increases.

Overclocking increases the speed of any processor and the hardware peripheral more than the limit set by the manufacturer. By overclocking, the low end hardware is made to perform just as its higher end version does. Some computer users who have good and new quality models also overclock their computer hardware in order to push them to perform much better. You can overclock the graphics, memory, and processors of your system. Remember to overclock your system in increasing levels, starting at minimum speed modification then moving to the maximum. An abrupt system modification through overclocking may cause serious damages to your computer. Gaming computers also benefit much from overclocking. Because of a faster and higher performance level, players experience lesser problems with game loading and the performance of the game.

Beside the advantages there are some drawbacks of Over Clocking.

The biggest drawback of overclocking the computer system is heat. The heat that is generated while over clocking can cause damage to the processor. Also the lifespan of a processor may be reduced by higher operating frequencies, increased voltages and heat. Increased clock speeds and voltages result in higher power consumption. The warranty of a PC component may void after doing the OverClocking. There is also a risk of fire if devices are not properly cooled.

So according to me instead of Over Clocking, upgrade your hardware or other devices to get the better performance.