Thread: Need some tips on overclocking ATI and Nvidia cards

Need some tips on overclocking ATI and Nvidia cards

Hi,
    I need some general tips on overclocking Nvidia and ATI cards. I had always got errors when I try to do so. Also I need a general information on overclocking. Which is the best practice to overclock a GPU and then get a optimum performance from it. My platform for the same is Windows and ATI or Nvidia cards. Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: Need some tips on overclocking ATI and Nvidia cards

The interest to overclock a graphics card is to increase performance in games, save money when you can not afford to buy them good for games and break records in 3DMark. This is not dangerous to overclock a graphics card except that it can become unstable. It may not be very good for the graphics card overclock at most. Because of that, you can have freeze and artifacts in games. Artifacts that can even happen when you do not play games because of overheating. It may be in games even if it does not overheat because the graphics card was overclocked too. In this case it is a little lower frequency.

We can not know in advance how far you can overclock a graphics card because overclocking is not an exact science. Eg with my Geforce 4 TI 4800 SE can go to 275/550 MHz to 325/675 MHz. With another Geforce 4 TI 4800 SE it may be possible to go for example to 332/672 MHz. So it is up to you to discover where you can go with your graphics card. The powersupply plays a important role here. It may be a factor limiting your overclock. Perhaps it is just your graphics card which is not terrible for overclocking. If you have a graphics card that much heat, it'd be a good idea to change the fan if you intend to overclock. It may help to better overclock. But know that to change the fan will void the warranty.

You can overclock by Coolbit. To overclock with Coolbit, we must first ensure they have the latest driver from the NVIDIA graphics card. After setting up everything, you will need to restart your computer. Once your computer is restarted, right click and go to properties. Then click the Settings tab and click Advanced. Then click the tab that is marked the name of your graphics card such as Geforce 4 TI 4800. Then go to the user interface control panel and make sure you know that NVIDIA control panel classic is checked and click apply. Then go in setting clock and select manual overclocking. To increase the frequency, the same principle that ATI graphics cards. To learn more about increasing the frequency of your graphics card, read what I wrote below. Once you choose the frequency you want, click on modified test and click apply.