Thread: cant play video files by overclocking my system

cant play video files by overclocking my system

Hello,
    When I do not overclock at all, everything runs perfect. When I start playing with different overclocks most everything works fine with the exception that videos will lock up the computer randomly. The video can be from a web page or from VLC it is entirely random. am running 8GB of RAM but it also does this if I take out 2 of the sticks. CPU is a Q9450 at 3.2 and the memory is OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 linked/sync'd at 800 or tried unlinked at 1066. Now I cant play video. This has been going on for a while and I've tried all of the different versions of the BIOS. What should i do now? Any suggestion?

re: cant play video files by overclocking my system

You have to be sure about OverClocking before you go too much further into this project. your OC is unstable, and your computer will continue to BSOD or lock/freeze until you get it stable.I wouldn't have RMA'd the board until you did a lot more testing. It was locking on you during movie playback, because there is a lot of activity going on to make the movie play smoothly ,ram reading, CPU usage and such, and this was requiring your system to do more than it was able to with the power (voltages) you were supplying it.Try just a 3GHz OC first, keep things simple and don't go nuts.The higher you OC, the more work it will be to fine tune the voltages to get it stable. I recommend you read some overclocking guides before doing anything else.

Re: cant play video files by overclocking my system

Some time overclock get wrong and it create problem, since C1E was enabled, your cpu would downclock to save energy, but your voltage would stay the same giving your CPU too much voltage. Once you changed the C1E setting, your CPU stopped downclocking, and became more stable. Now your voltages do need a little work. First of all, if you are not running SLI, then you dont need to change the NF200 voltage as this is specifically for running SLI.3.2GHz may seem like enough to you now, and it's a great starting point. But once you get that stable and fine tuned, you'll want to go higher. Before you know it you'll be shooting for 3.8GHz. But once you get 3.2GHz stable, save the settings or take snapshots of your bios settings, so you can jump back to that any time that a higher OC fails and you don't have time to mess with getting it stable.