Thread: Computer turns on, but won't even get to POST screen

Computer turns on, but won't even get to POST screen

Hi everyone,

I've a HP Pavilion a450y.I have done a system restore a few days ago.Since then,the computer not giving the POST screen.But i can see the light below the power button that blinks with PC activity blinks once prior to become stable.before this issue, the fan used to rotate bit niosly for about one second at the POST screen before slowing down when Windows XP would start up. Now when I turn the computer on, the fan is not about to cease the noisy rotation , and I can't even reach the post screen.So am doubting Could it be a problem with the heat sink? Or might it be the processor?

Any help would be greatly received..!!

Re: Computer turns on, but won't even get to POST screen

I had this problem before.Me Ended up that I lost all 4 DIMMs at the same time somehow. Everything powered up, fans were spinning, no POST codes, though. Drove me like bullshit attempting to troubleshoot since I didn't think it possible that more than one or two DIMMs had gone bad. After I'd replaced everything else, I ended up trying some memory from another machine and it booted right up.

All right i meant to ask you one thing after the restore ,did it boot for you and then stop booting ,or after the restore it just hasn't boot completely yet . if no to last / ,did you try and do the restore again ,as something obviously went wrong

I suppose that's possible but i don't really wanna go out any buy ram just to see if the ones i have are bad..just a thought ,any chance you have a second monitor around to try it ,also what fan is spinning really fast the cpu one?.unplug power to everything like cdrom and floppy drive and hard drive ,just leave power to the motherboard ,remove all ram chips,and any pci cards like network and modems if any ,and try,you should hear beeps because of the no ram ,if no beeps then the motherboard/ or cpu is not working

Try to remove all memory modules, then turn on the comp, you shoul hear a series of beeps. then return one memory module and try again, then put another module, and try again. If not succesful turn on then unplug your power cord and remove bios battery for a minute then put it back on. As you described it seems like CPU gets locked up. I hope I helped