Thread: Can I Overclock Sound Card

Can I Overclock Sound Card

Hi , I want to do a bit of Overclocking but I Have Old P4 System , Which Do not have any Component Which can be Overclocked , I tried a fews times Changing the frequency of Ram and processors , But it did not Yielded much Result , Recently I Purchased a new pci Sound Card it is 5.1 surround sound card , I Have Heard about overclocking sound card , and So I was just wondering if I could overclock my Sound card Anyone know How Can i Overclock it any other software that can overclock sound cards? Please help me Thanks in advance for your Replies

Re: Sound Card Overclocking

Hello . Actually it's possible. You can overclock the frequency that the chip on the sound card operates at. Overclocking a sound card can be done by increasing the FSB, but I have found that , it does not improve the quality of the sound, if anything it will degrade the sound quality.

Re: Sound Card Overclocking

You can't really overclock a sound card as they don't do any intensive processing. The reason you get a boost of OCing your CPU or video card is that the graphics card has lots of hard work to do in games and certain apps so speeding it up will result in a performance incresase. Obviously speeding up the CPU will increase performance, but the soundcard doesn't really do much processing itself so not really practical.
    You've got to laugh at the idea though .

Re: How To Overclock Sound Card

If I remember correctly you can , but its completely pointless as most soundcard drivers are designed around the cards natural clockspeed. If you start overclocking (which has to be done through hardware modifactions anyway), the drivers can't cope and you are almost sure to damage the card in the process of changing around compenents on the card anyway. And this was just on the older cards.