Thread: How to OverClock AMD Athlon 64 Processor 2800+

idea How to OverClock AMD Athlon 64 Processor 2800+

Hello Everybody,

I would like to know that how do i overclock my AMD Athlon 64 Processor 2800+. Does any body have any idea about how can i do so? Is there any kind of risk while overclocking my AMD Athlon 64 Processor 2800+? Kindly suggest me your views and opinion about this issue.

Thanks.

Re: How to OverClock AMD Athlon 64 Processor 2800+

As we know, overclocking involves increasing either the clock ratio of the cpu or raising the fsb/htt speed. For this overclocking an Athlon 64 2800+ and will be focusing on bus manipulation more than anything else. These chips are multiplier locked upwards. This basically means, in the case of this chip, that I am limited to 9xHTT and downward.

Before you attempt to overclock your pc you must think about heat. If you only have a stock cpu heat sink and fan then you wont get very far.

As you increase processor speed you increase heat output, and that needs to be dealt with.

First off, you need to verify that your motherboard can overclock the CPU without overclocking the PCI/AGP bus as well, if it can't then you won't be able to get anything out of it.

To overclock you need to understand how your speeds are determined.
    1. BUS (or FSB) = system speed (external CPU speed)
    2. HTT (hypertransport bus) = direct link from CPU to memory
    3. CORE CLOCK = CPU internal speed
    4. CPU MULTIPLIER = determines CORE CLOCK speed when multiplied by the BUS
    5. HTT MULTIPLIER = determines HTT speed when multiplied by the BUS
    6. RAM DIVIDER = determines RAM speed when divided by the CORE CLOCK

Here is your default settings as a reference:
    1. BUS = 200MHz
    2. HHT = 800MHz (1600MT/s via DDR)
    3. CORE CLOCK = 1.8GHz
    4. CPU MULTIPLIER = 9
    5. HTT MULTIPLIER = 4
    6. RAM DIVIDER = 0

Once you understand those terms and what they do, it's pretty easy. but you should keep a few things in mind:
    1. Try to keep the HTT as close to 800MHz as possible (if it's a little less that's OK, but don't overclock it alot).
    2. You cannot raise the CPU multiplier above 9, so the only way to overclock it is to raise the BUS
    3. Your RAM may not be able to run as fast as the BUS. for instance if you raise your BUS to 250MHz, you also raise the RAM speed to 250MHz, some RAM can run at that speed, some can't. if your's can't then you will need to set a RAM divider to bring it back down around 200MHz.
    4. Don't raise the voltage on anything until you have reached the maximum stable overclock on default voltages. Overvolting can fry your components. Only raise the voltage if you are willing to risk your components. If you decide to raise the voltage, use the smallest increments possible.

Start off with a small overclock by raising the BUS to 220, save and reboot. if it boots then you just overclocked your CPU by 180MHz. to go higher you will likely have to lower the HTT multiplier and set a RAM divider, but see what you can get without that first.

P.S. If it won't boot, use the CMOS jumper to set the BIOS back to defaults.