Thread: GPU runs very hot at Idle

idea GPU runs very hot at Idle

Hello Friends,

Recently i had downloaded speed fan 4.37, in order to perform a test on my pc. While performing the test i came to know that my GPU runs very hot at Idle. Can any body tell me that how can i reduces the heating power of my GPU? Does any one knows how can i do it? Can some one provide me the correct logical steps for the above issue? Any information on this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Re: GPU runs very hot at Idle

First of all we need to buy a good CPU cooler, because your GPU temperature should be 45 when it go to 60 is normal but if it cross 70 then it is harm full. You need to buy a water cooling for whole system because that make all system cool.

That's not really too bad to be honest. It's expected with a toasty card such as the 9800gx2 to idle at such temperatures I think. Graphics cards are designed to cope with higher temps than CPUs.

Send it in for repairs to find out the problem while it is still in warranty. If its faulty parts, they will replace them (if under warranty, else you will have to pay for the parts).

Fanless cards do run hotter, as their heat dissipation depends on their temperature above ambient. 80C idle seems a little high though. You should rig up something to improve the air flow. Eg. Take out the panel for the spare floppy drive bay so that air is able to get into the case from the front. Or you might like to remove the cover for the slot below the graphics card so air can get in from the back, flow over the card, and get sucked out by the fans.

If it won't void your warranty, you can get a small fan and superglue it to the heatsink, thus converting it into a cooler with fan. Otherwise, try running with the case open, or if the case has provision for a fan on the side, fit one to blow air in over the card.