Thread: How can I prevent my CPU getting overheated

How can I prevent my CPU getting overheated

Hi, my name is mickey.
    I am having a PC at my home, it works for at least 10 to 12 hours a day due to which it gets very much heated. I am afraid it may cause some problem. What should i do to maintain it ?
    Last edited by mickey demaio; 25-02-2009 at 10:32 PM.

Re: How can i prevent my CPU getting overheated

Overheating is possible, your PC contains a lot of parts, almost all of which create heat when your computer is on. Some parts, like the CPU and graphics card produce much heat.In a properly configured computer, much of this heat is moved out of the computer's case by several fans. If your computer isn't removing the hot air fast enough, the temperature can get so hot that you risk serious damage to your PC. You should keep priorityin keeping your PC cool.

Here are some tips which you should try for keeping your PC cool:-

1. The easiest thing you can do to help keep your PC cool is to give it a little breathing room by removing any obstacles to air flow.Most of the hot air flows out of the back end of the computer case. There should be at least 2 to 3 inches open on either side and the back should be completely open and unobstructed.

2. The fans inside your computer are there to keep it cool. Keep on Cleaning them onece or twice a week. Dirt - in the form of dust, pet hair, etc. slows down the fan and then eventually makes it stop. It all finds a way into your computer and much of it gets stuck in the several fans

3. A cooler and cleaner area of the room might be fine to place your PC,bcz too hot or too dirty area can creat problem.

4. As you said your PC works continuously, Installing two case fans, one to move cool air into the PC and another to move warm air out of the PC, is a great way to keep a computer cool.

5. Phase change units are the most drastic of cooling technologies. A phase change unit can be thought of as a refrigerator for your CPU. It utilizes many of the same technologies to cool or even freeze a CPU.But they are very costly.

I hope if you keep all this in your mind, your PC will be cool and long lasting.

I suggest you to work on to keep your PC at normal temperature or in simple words it should be kept cool. I'll give you some tips to keep it cool.Just try all this:-

1. Do not block any air vents on your PC's case. You can also extend the life of your computer monitor by giving it a little breathing room. Don't block the air vents on your monitor by piling papers or books on top of it.

2. Most fans are on the back of the computer, so position the computer a few inches from the wall.

3. Keep draperies and other fabric away from the fan.

4. Keep the fan clean and free of debris.

5. Keep dogs, cats, and other hairy pets away from the computer.

6. Keep your computer in a clean, well-ventilated area.

7. Open your case once or twice a year and use a computer vacuum or can of compressed air to clean out built up dust and debris. Do this more often if you have a cat or dog that sheds a lot.

8. The room where your system is kept should never be too hot. How hot is too hot? If it's uncomfortable for you, it's probably uncomfortable for your PC as well.

9. Don't put the CPU unit of the computer on the floor. This is one suggestion that even I don't always follow. Yet, if this is feasible, your computer will accumulate less dust and dirt if kept off the floor.

There are some tips which you can follow to keep your PC cool.They are:-

1. If your computer still getting heated with its built-in fans, get a small, external fan to blow into your computer.

2. Put a thermometer inside or next to your computer and look at the average temperature. If it gets too hot, you know that it is truly hot and you can take care of it.

3. You can move your computer near an air vent so that, when your AC is on, you can have it cooling yourself off as well as your computer.

4. You can go the expensive route and spend 300 dollars to water cool your computer, but be aware of the danger that you could drown it.

5. Make sure your computer’s air vents have plenty of room to release that hot air and let cooler air in.

All this will help to keep PC cool.