Thread: Overclocking Q9450 and Ram

Overclocking Q9450 and Ram

I have the following in the data (That which is relevant for the question!)

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage Formula
    CPU: Intel Q9450 2.66GHz org
    Memory: Mushkin DDR2 4096MB Extreme Performance DDR6400 800MHz org
    GPU: ASUS Radeon HD4850

Info from bios:
    CPU running at 3.51 GHz x4
    Memory is at 1050Mhz

Info from CPU-Z:
    CPU running at 3496 + - Mutiplier 6 (Idle) -8 (load) Rated Bus speed 437MHz FSB 1748MHz
    Memory is at 1049MHz CL55515 2T FSB: DRAM 5:6

Temp (Measured with HWMonitor112) 100% load with Core2MaxPerf measured after 10 min max load:
    (Given to the highest measured temp! Room temp 21.1 C (meter that's on top of the cabinet!)
    Core0: 64C
    Core1: 56C
    Core2: 55c
    Core3: 55c

The video card ATI Radeon HD4850 is about 56C and HDD0: 24c HDD1: 25C Seagate 500GB/1TB

This is not something I'm going to run fast just as it is mentioned ...!

What I wonder is:
    1. How are these temperatures? (Are they high to be overclock or is the thing?)

2. While overclocking for running this fast, should I be particularly aware of something special?

3. What is the maximum clock of the CPU with cooling?

4. What score is good in 3DMark Vantage?

5. Is there some simple, yet straightforward test program I can run on this?

6. Handles memory timings slightly lower than they already are set to?

All are welcome to reply / ask something! But kept it seriously! And just like that for reference sake: I have many years experience in computers and additional equipment, but I'm no expert and I have not driven anything in overclocking as such before!
    Waiting for (I know I cant afford em all): Halo 2 (xbox), Half-Life 2 (xbox), MGS3: Snake Eater (ps2), MGS: Twin Snakes (GC), Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (xbox), Gran Tourismo 4 (PS2), Mario Advance 4: Pikmin 2 (GC), Metroid Zero Mission (GBA), Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA)

Re: Overclocking Q9450 and Ram

1. All temperatures are quite ok at max load.

2. It is nothing special to note other than the temp, and that your PC works properly and is stable (no blue screen or suddenly restart)

3. Have no idea. search a bit on google.

4. Perhaps a little low?? Try also with 3dmark06. Vantage sucks if you ask me. I'll say not to use 3dmark06 to get higher scores, but there are lighter and many more to compare with.

5. What program are you looking for? Specify ....

6. The memory can be difficult to watch. Here it is much trial and error. You might try with 4-4-4-12 to see if it goes. Set voltage to 2.1 or 2.2 (DDR2) lower with DDR3. The best is if you manage to get to the first run in 1hr (restart) and then mucking around with the late timing.

EDIT: High clocks for cpu and memory is not as easy to get to. Here you have to find the max golden mean (the joy) but if you should find the maximum clocks should clock down your memory. like to slightly less than stock, and then start with max clocks in cpu.

5. My mistake ... Program to test CPU stability ...

All is done automatically via the PS! I set the CPU to Levelup ..
    Waiting for (I know I cant afford em all): Halo 2 (xbox), Half-Life 2 (xbox), MGS3: Snake Eater (ps2), MGS: Twin Snakes (GC), Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (xbox), Gran Tourismo 4 (PS2), Mario Advance 4: Pikmin 2 (GC), Metroid Zero Mission (GBA), Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA)

As long as the auto-one works, it should be good enough, but you should watch more and find the maximum bells must use everything set to manual and it is enormously time-consuming to adjust up and down as thought in all colors and shapes. If you are bitten you will be depending on it.

The best program I and many others are using is prime95. It starts up and select "just stress testing" as to the small fft. It is the heaviest to operate and produces most heat (different in layout to prime95, but that it is only) and then select ok and the test is started. It should be a minimum of one round. Believe there are about 13 tests... lasting for about 12-15 min. Manage it is the more or less stable. You will know that if it is properly stable it should run in a fair amount of hours. (8-10)
    IMPORTANT: This test goes and goes and goes constantly. It must be stopped manually. Select Stop to the left.

A program that is convenient to have up to keep control on the temp while running prime95 is pcwizard08 after you have started this up, minimize it and only then come up a small display that can only move around the place than you are in control of figures.

This is based on 3dMark06:
    SM2.0 score - 4880
    HDR/SM3.0 score - 5749
    CPU score - 5244

It was a low score, I think. Make about the same on my Q6600 at 2.9 and with over time 8800GTS. Nonetheless, it is a good overclock and been a case of auto stuff in bios. Which cooler are you using?

Netshop. no search for No. 26644

Thermalright ULTRA120 Extreme CPU cooler with fan

Tested under Windows 7 x64 beta