Thread: CPU problem - heats suddenly

CPU problem - heats suddenly

well...i have this problem with my cpu (intel pentium D 3Ghz), it gets really hot in no time, around...80-90 degrees C or even more. It restarts when it gets that hot and it won't boot from anything. The cooler works just fine. Any ideas?
    Thanx

Yogesh Guest

Re: CPU problem - heats suddenly

Please note:
    Thread moved from Guides & Tutorials to Overclocking & Computer Modification.

Try applying new thermal paste, cleaning out the dust inside from your computer. What is your full computer specifications?

If your idle temp is around 44c, then this is not bad at all. But 80-90 idle is a bit on the toasty side. if I were you I would probably get some good thermal paste (arctic silver is a good one) and reseat your CPU. That thermal pad that comes with the CPU/heatsink retail isn't bad, but it is only supposed to be used ONCE. If you remove the heatsink once, then I would assume the pad is toast, especially if you used it for a while before breaking the seal.

If the cpu setup was improperly installed, meaning too much paste and/or not fully seated can cause the cpu to overtemp and with a bios temp setting can reboot, if so reset. Try setting the overtemp setting to react by shutting down. If it shuts down then its a cpu heat problem. If the problem still reboots then you may have a power supply problem. ALL FANS must be working where ever they are. Plus, a cluttered case of harnesses, wiring, etc. can cause poor aitflow reducing the effectness of any setup. The graphic if a hi-perf type maybe drawing too much wattage and it can cause a reboot. All these factors come into play by themselves or in concert cause an unstable system. Open case and allow it to vent even better. Also, understand the damage maybe already done as in a "over-stressed" cpu just can't stay stable, Athlon don't like heat more so than Intels. Check all these componets as best you can. Clean all dust bunnies and verify any fans are working. Verify what the bis setting for over-temp is and reset to deafults by clearing the CMOS using the clearing pins. -OR- use the safe setting mode some bios provide.