Thread: Semiconductors at low Temperatures

Semiconductors at low Temperatures

I am preparing a draft paper for college and are growing a little, I read an article which says that such as the semiconductors silicon and germanium, have negative temperature coefficients. This means that the electrical resistance of a semiconductor decreases with increasing temperature and increases with decreasing of this"
    The processors are made of silicon doped (right?) For which lower the temperature should increase the strength of the material change anything?

Instead, reading the documents for the network (including the IBM prototype 500ghz a helium-cooled liquid), it would seem that you take advantage on the resistance by low temperatures, going completely against the affirmation of my textbook. Some indeed argue that the silicon becomes superconducting at temperatures close to 0 ° K, as to guarantee an ideal overlclock high frequencies and low voltages, as with risk of short circuit.

Well, that's all!
    If someone can give me an explanation, thanks!

Re: Semiconductors at low Temperatures

Then take the CPU at a low temperature is used for 2 things:
    1) do not exceed beyond the limit of their temperature to + vCore
    2) when actually the CPU is under cold + rose to the same vCore (of up to 100MHz, however)

we must also consider that some CPU but have problems with low temperatures
    ahtlon 64 for the example below -50 degrees not start the core 2 duo under about -140 while others such as the Pentium 4 or the 2 phenom hold up to -190 (liquid nitrogen) AMD will test the new phenom in the liquid helium ps came up to 27ghz

anyway, thanks for your interest but this does not help me from a physical point of view ... What you are talking to is the cold bug in the processor market, but it does not matter much to me, because I intend to talk about ideal situations close to zero and hence the procedure should be ideal.
    However, I also confirm that you gain, minimal output, there is ... and this goes against the stated semiconductor. Why?
    If you can go up more means that you reduce the resistance! but it should be the opposite!

then I think (considering that I know only for practical use) that the processor mhz in + any + vCore is stressed that a default (the circuit will quickly consume +) probably the cold reduces the degradation and thus the processor holding high temperatures.

In fact by all responded is quoted as saying your article when it comes to NON-doped semiconductors. And then it comes to doping (in the various types) that leads to what happens in the extreme.

What new features would you wanted to have?