Thread: Wd raptor or 7200 rpm

Wd raptor or 7200 rpm

Hey

Perhaps that is just the right category. I try nonetheless ...

Can we make a significant performance boost by moving from a 7,200 RPM (Seagate, WD, etc) up to a WD Raptor at 10,000 RPM?

It will serve as a system disk and since it is part expensive than in 7200 RPM, I would also like to make a quicker response on opening the programs and the like (loading of RAM). Is that something you observe?

Requires disk extra cooling and noise level in relation to a conventional 7200 RPM?

Re: Wd raptor or 7200 rpm

No, they are no faster, unless you select the new disks, such as velociraptor. old raptor drives are actually slower than a new wd 7200; and generate more noise. It is because they drive SATA I while the newer SATA II hard drives running.

Thanks for quick response. So, it will not be a raptor disk

It is a bit strange market right now, I think.

SATA2-disks have been faster and faster, but nonetheless called the hard disk as a bottleneck in modern systems. (Which I agree in.)
    Raptor disk was once in 7200 rpm's superior discs, but it is not really anymore.
    So we are also getting SSD's into the market. Top mediators seem to make very good, but I hear about a part that is not really satisfied with their purchases.

So as the market looks now, so I think just that I keep my hard disks as they are

I do not agree with SUpER CoP in some things.

You can not 'see' difference between SATA and SATA II. There is a difference, but not great.

No, I do not think old raptor running slower than the new 7200 as we see today. In fact, there is better seektime.

Do not buy a raptor since it was a little old. Buy either a Velociraptor. They were obviously be very quick, quiet and cool.

@ Omari

Well, that was according to my experience. My raptor was pwnet my 1TB Westermarkt digital black caviar in read, write and seek. So they are out of the fight IMO

It is shown that, for example, a Samsung 1TB disk alone can bury from 2 x 36GB / 2 x74GB Raptor drives in RAID, so it says little about the difference between S-ATA and S-ATA II.

Whoever wrote that there is no difference in S-ATA and S-ATA II will appear just read a little more on things, because there are enough big difference between the two classes.

Performance was highlighted quite dramatically by switching to S-ATA II interface, because the bandwidth was doubled, and thus was given space to the disks could transfer data faster, which it did as producers began to exploit the new opportunity.

However, it is only just recently that we really take advantage of S-ATA II interface fully with the big discs today.

What is the "problem" with SSD disks is that they can be very slow when there are installed programs, and that is what I have experienced with the SSD tested and will be tested at the moment.

But in daily operation is quite fine with SSD, which is particularly noise free which is of great benefit. But it is a new mechanical drive.

I believe that the SSD will benefit the older one's Windows installation because it does not become fragmented in the same way as a mechanical drive, but the benefits of SSD is still not large enough for the mainstream and will not be so in 2009.

I think we need a couple of generations ahead before we see the SSD becomes everyday drive.

It has nothing to do with SATA 1 or 2 to make - as long as the disks do not transmit faster than the standard allows.

- Most 1TB drives are actually the best you can get for their money.

- Otherwise, I would buy a Velociraptor as a system disk.